THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

A Welcome Grave by Michael Koryta

>> Friday, November 19, 2010



A Welcome Grave by Michael Koryta

Genre: Mystery / Crime Fiction
Series: #3 in the Lincoln Perry series
Publication Date: 2007
Pages: 294
Challenges: Support Your Local Library #49
Source: Library




The Short Version:
Private Investigator Lincoln Perry is hired to find the son of a recent murder victim and soon finds himself a suspect in multiple murders and a complex extortion plot.

Why I Read It:
I’ve read and enjoyed the first two books in the series.

The Book:
When Alex Jefferson is brutally tortured and murdered, his widow asks Lincoln Perry to find her husband’s long estranged son in order to let him know his father is dead and he is to inherit a large sum of money. Oh, and the widow? She was engaged to Perry before she met and married Jefferson. In addition, it was a knockout punch delivered to Jefferson by Perry that got Perry kicked off the Cleveland police force and into the PI business.

This makes what should be an easy missing person search start out with plenty of complications, but it gets worse. Before Perry can even tell Jefferson’s son about his inheritance, the kid is dead and Perry is in jail under suspicion for his murder.

Then it gets even worse. The more Perry and his partner Joe Pritchard work to find out what really happened to both Alex Jefferson and his son and why, the more twists and turns come along. At almost every step is a clue for Lincoln and Joe that is soon followed by apparent evidence leading the police to suspect Perry is behind the murders and extortion.

The story twists along with events from the past coming back to haunt people, revenge, extortion and a very scary Russian hit man who ended up being one of my favorite characters.

My Thoughts:
Like the first two in the series this was a fun to read thriller with plenty of twists and turns. Lincoln Perry is a character I like a lot. He’s smart and sharp tongued with little patience for the law enforcement authorities despite his previous career as a cop. He’s funny and devoted to his friends.

I enjoy the banter in Koryta’s books. He uses entertaining and quick witted dialog to progress the story, but there’s plenty of action too. The Russian hit man is scary, but he ended up being one of my favorite parts of the book.

The story is complicated and despite the many twists and turns it takes along the way (some more plausible than others), it’s an entertaining read. The essential question of who murdered Alex Jefferson and why turns out to have a surprising and yet by the time you get there, not so surprising resolution.

I look forward to continuing with this series as well as Koryta’s standalone thrillers.



Rating 4/5

3 comments:

Cindy Swanson 11/20/2010 11:03 AM  

I've never read anything by Michael Koryta, but I definitely will check out this series after reading your review! I'm always on the look-out for great suspense novels, as that's one of my favorite genres.

I hope you'll check out my review of Dean Koontz' "Lightning." My book blog is really hurting for readers!
http://cindysbookclub.blogspot.com

Vickie 11/21/2010 6:53 PM  

I loved the first in this series and I am going to read EVERYTHING Koryta writes. Good to know he keeps up the pace with each book.

SuziQoregon 11/23/2010 9:04 PM  

Cindy: Oh this is a great series. Tons of fun. I'm looking forward to getting to his standalones. I haven't read Dean Koontz in a long time. I went through a horror phase for a while and read a ton of his books within a short time. Maybe I burned out?

Vickie: Oh I KNEW you'd be a Koryta fan - he's just the kind of author we both enjoy.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP