THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Wrong Blood by Manuel De Lope

>> Friday, December 17, 2010


The Wrong Blood by Manuel De Lope

The Wrong Blood by Manuel De Lope
Translated by John Cullen
Genre: Fiction
Publication Date: 2010
Pages: 256
Challenges: none
Source: eGalley provided by publisher through NetGalley



The Short Version:
In the Basque region of Spain at the time of the civil war, two women from markedly different backgrounds come together to help each other and keep a secret.

Why I Read It:
When I read about this book on the NetGalley site it sounded just so intriguing that I couldn’t resist.

The Book:
The story takes place both at the time of the Spanish Civil war and many years later when the grandson of one of the two women returns to the family home to spend some time in quiet solitude to study for a legal examination. A lowly maid has inherited the home of her wealthy mistress and now plays host to the grandson.

At the same time that the events of the earlier time are revealed and the different circumstances of the two women plays out, the story of the grandson and his conversations with the friendly neighbor doctor are blended in.

To say much more about the plot would be difficult without giving away events that are better read in the way the author tells them.

My Thoughts:
This story doesn’t jump back and forth between time frames so much as it swirls in and out and back and forth. Even in translation the writing is hypnotic and beautiful. The story seems a bit slow paced and the ending is fairly clear from early on.

Because of the way the story moves back and forth in time it took me a while to adapt to the way it is told. Although I thought it was good, it was also frustrating in the way the reveal was no surprise at all long before it happened. Yet at the same time the writing and the way the story is told is intriguing and poetic. It was a book I took a long time to read because I had to immerse myself in the story whenever I sat down to read it.

Days later I’m still having a difficult time putting my feelings for this book into a concise few words. I both liked and disliked it and found it both fascinating and frustrating at the same time.

I think this might be a good book club book because of the way my mixed feelings about it make me want to discuss it with someone else who has read it.


Rating 3/5

3 comments:

Beth F 12/20/2010 5:14 AM  

Those mixed-feelings books are great for book clubs and discussions. I picked up a copy of this at BEA and I fully intend to give it a try.

Bookfool 12/20/2010 8:11 PM  

I know that feeling sooo well. Sorry I haven't read it. I often find myself wishing I had someone with whom I could discuss a book, right after I've finished.

SuziQoregon 12/28/2010 8:35 AM  

BethF: Yes - the mixed feelings ones definitely make the best discussion books. There were definitely things I liked and didn't like about this one.

Bookfool: some books just need that kind of discussion for me to settle my mind about what I think of them.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP