THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Confessions of a Serial Reader – The ones I’ve neglected

>> Friday, January 28, 2011


The tough thing about reading so many series (62 at last official count, but that’s no longer accurate) is that inevitably, some get pushed down the To Be Read list and neglected. I’m not talking about the series I’m not interested in continuing, I’m talking about the ones that I do want to read, but for any of a number of reasons I haven’t picked up the next book in ages.

I updated my series list in my TBR spreadsheet and added the dates I read the most recent book. I wanted to see which series It’s been the longest since I’ve read one of the books. Yikes – it’s been a long time for some of these. The interesting thing is that I do want to read and continue all of these, but I keep getting distracted by the new and shiny on the shelf and the latest books that are getting all the chatter. I read a high proportion of backlist, but there are always a few on the list that keep getting deferred.

These are the series I’ve neglected the longest. I’m not making any promises about any of them, but hope to get to at least one on each of these series sometime in 2011. All the covers and links are to the first book in each series. They’re all good series so I encourage you to give them a try.

The Wilderness series by Sara Donati – I read the first one way back in 2004 and have just not managed to pick up the next one yet. Part of the reason is that these are chunksters. Diana Gabaldon sized chunksters. In fact, the author is a friend of Diana Gabaldon and Claire Fraser from the Outlander series makes a cameo appearance in the first book “Into the Wilderness”. I need to be in the mood for a big fat historical fiction saga. Maybe I need to read this along with some shorter faster moving books at the same time for a change of pace.


The Boldt/Matthews series by Ridley Pearson – I read the first one in 2008 and liked it a lot. I can’t really explain why I haven’t picked up the second yet, but I’ve got it on my library list to get to in the next few months.


The Inspector Lynley series by Elizabeth George – I love British detective series and the first two of this series were wonderful. I didn’t realize it had been so long so I’m glad checking the dates has put this series back on my read soon radar.


The Nick Travers series by Ace Atkins – The first two in this series were such a great combination of noir-ish mystery and love letter to blues music that they really drew me in. Again, I didn’t realize it had been that long so I’ve moved this one up the list to get back to soon.



What about you? What series have you been neglecting? Is it because you’re not sure you want to continue or is it because you got distracted by the new and shiny.

6 comments:

Jen Forbus 1/28/2011 6:51 AM  

I just discovered the Boldt series last year and devoured all but 2 of them I think. I haven't read Elizabeth George and I have Ace Atkins waiting for me. I just got a beautious hardcover of CROSSROAD BLUES, so hopefully I'll get to that this year.

As far as what I've neglected. Hmmm, I want to get back to Harry Bosch. I've been good about keeping up with the ones out of his series, but I wanted to read the Bosch in order which slows me down.

I'm behind on a few Dave Robicheaux. I was listening to them all on audio, but the audio narrator I'll listen to passed away and now I have to pick up in print from there. Again, I read the books out of Robicheaux's series, but I simply can NOT listen to Will Patton read those books.

Kay 1/28/2011 8:01 AM  

I love this post. And I love series reading. There are just so many out there though and so many I want to read. I have meant to start Sara Donati's books for quite some time. I read many of the Elizabeth George books and then left off about 3 or 4 books back from the current one. I loved them though and loved the BBC adaptations.

I have a few series that I am current on and so very many that I'm not. I'd like to continue Diana Gabaldon's books (have only read OUTLANDER) and catch up on many others. I'm going to be highlighting some of my past favorite mystery series in my Bookish Nostalgia posts this year. Maybe that will give me the push I need to catch up on a few more of my favorites. :-)

Beth F 1/30/2011 4:53 AM  

Oh yeah. I think my last Sara Danti was Dawn on a Distant Shore. Or maybe I read the next one too??? ARGHHHHH. I don't remember.

SuziQoregon 2/01/2011 4:17 PM  

Jen: Oh I really enjoyed the first of the Boldt series good to hear the follow ups are good. You are going to love Crossroad Blues - you will be feeling the music while you read it - guaranteed. I've never read any of the Robicheaux books, but if you like them, I most like will too. I hate when readers change mid-series.

Kay: thanks - that encourages me to keep up with this feature at least on a monthly basis. I've only read the one Donati book, but I liked it. I've never seen any of the TV versions of the Lynley series - I need to read more of the books first. I'll be watching your Bookish Nostalgia posts.

Beth F: funny I'm totally unsurprised at all that you've read some of the Donati series - you and I have read so many of the same authors. Dawn on a Distant Shore is the second one of that series so it's next for me.

Kailana 2/01/2011 6:27 PM  

I am stalled on the Sara Donati series, too! I didn't read the first book, though. For a reason I cannot remember at the moment I read like book 3 or something, so I still need to go back and start over again.

SuziQoregon 2/07/2011 8:54 AM  

Kailana: Oh another person who has read at least one of Sara Donati's series. Sounds like there are more of us than I thought.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP