THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update January 15, 2011

>> Saturday, January 15, 2011

This week:
So there was this little football game on Monday. My team didn’t win, but I’m still proud as heck of them and can’t wait until the next season starts. I do love me some college football despite the fact that by the time the game was actually played I wasn’t too fond of most football fans. Only 230 days until the season opener kickoff!

Didn’t get as much reading time as I would have liked this week, but I could probably say that every week. I finished Scaredy Cat by Mark Billingham and I'm still reading An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear. I also finished listening to Peter and the Sword of Mercy by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson and read by the amazing Jim Dale.

There was a fun link wandering through Twitter this week where you can find the list of the NY Times Best Sellers for the week you were born (or obviously whatever date you choose to enter). Find the Bestsellers for your Birthday Week.

This was kind of fun. I was pleasantly surprised that the #1 for my birthday week was Hawaii by James Michener because I’ve actually read that book at least three times. I read it for the first time when I was in high school and it is still one of my all time favorites. Even more fun is that it was still #10 on the list for the week The Hubster was born a year 16 months later.

Here is the Fiction list for my birth week
  1. HAWAII James Michener
  2. ADVISE AND CONSENT Allen Drury
  3. THE CONSTANT IMAGE Marcia Davenport
  4. OURSELVES TO KNOW John O'Hara
  5. TWO WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN Irwin Shaw
  6. THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE Morrs L. West
  7. THE LINCOLN LORDS Cameron Hawley
  8. DEAR AND GLORIOUS PHYSICIAN Taylor Caldwell
  9. POOR NO MORE Robert Ruark
  10. KISS KISS Roald Dahl
  11. ALL THE DAY LONG Howard Spring
  12. EXODUS Leon Uris
  13. THE UGLY AMERICAN William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick
  14. MRS. 'ARRIS GOES TO NEW YORK Paul Gallico
  15. FUEL FOR THE FLAME Alec Waugh
  16. A SEPARATE PEACE John Knowles

In addition to Hawaii, I’ve also read A Separate Peace and Mrs. ‘Arris Goes to New York. I haven’t read Exodus, but I loved Trinity by Leon Uris and although I haven’t read Dear and Glorious Physician, I have read Captains and the Kings by her a couple of times. I do love big fat historical sagas.

The only book on the Non-Fiction list for the week that sparked any memory was The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan which I read for a high school history class.

Other than books and reading:
I’m working on a baby afghan for a friend. I have until February 4th to finish it (the shower is scheduled for the 5th). I also started a knitting class this week. I’ve crocheted for years and although I have completed one knitted baby afghan, there is no way I can say that I know how to knit. Fortunately there is a cute little knitting shop near my home and I’m taking a three week knitting basics class.

Tomorrow is our annual family get-together for Dad’s birthday. We don’t try to add to the holiday chaos and instead gather for lunch sometime mid January to celebrate his birthday (which was actually the 10th) and catch up a bit.



Added to my TBR List (To Be Read) this week:

Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution by Michelle Moran – Pam at Bookalicio.us mentioned this one the other day on Twitter and it definitely intrigues me. I know lots of folks have been impressed with Moran’s earlier books, but they haven’t jumped out at me perhaps because of the settings in Egypt, but this one with the French Revolution as part of the story definitely has my interest.


Purchased this week:

Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a book. I’ll talk more about this next week.

7 comments:

Sycorax Pine 1/15/2011 9:22 AM  

I just grabbed my parents' copy of Hawaii last time I was at their house. I've never read it (or any Michener? Is that possible?), but I am going to take it with me when I visit my partner D in Oahu in February.

Eleanor 1/15/2011 10:22 AM  

I really dig the weekly updates, Q!

The bestseller thing escaped me, so thanks for sharing it here... what fun.

Vickie 1/15/2011 7:31 PM  

That's a fun link! HAWAII was on mine, too, for my birth week. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was there too.

Looking forward to getting to AN INCOMPLETE REVENGE one day. I have to look for Louise Penny on audio.

Karen :) 1/15/2011 8:58 PM  

I used to love Taylor Caldwell! If you can ever get your hands on her book "Wicked Angel" it is totally worth the read. Read Hawaii and A Separate Peace as well in HS!

Bookfool 1/16/2011 7:55 PM  

Does it seem to you that the bestsellers of our birth years had more substance than today's bestselling material? It does to me, but maybe I'm just delusional. I thought my birthday week had some awfully cool titles. Among the nonfiction was the JFK Coloring Book. Now, there's something I wouldn't have expected! And, no, that one's not so big on substance. But the fiction . . .

Beth F 1/17/2011 5:09 AM  

Fun list of books. I've read Hawaii a few times too. I, of course, recognize other titles on your list.

SuziQoregon 1/20/2011 9:30 PM  

Sycorax Pine: Oh I hope you like Hawaii. Feel free to skip over the opening chapters about the formation of the islands, but after that it's fabulous.

El: Thanks, I'm kind of getting to enjoy them. I'm glad I posted the bestseller link since you missed it. Kind of fun.

Vickie: Oh To Kill a Mockingbird was #2 on the list for The Hubster's birth week. Good to hear you're still liking the Maisie Dobbs series and yes you really need to try the Louise Penny series on audio. Ralph Cosham reads them and he's a perfect voice for Gamache.

Karen: I think Captains and the Kings was the only one of hers I read. I went through a stage where I picked out books at the library and bookstores by choosing the fattest ones.

Bookfool: I think we had some amazing books show up in our birth years. It'll be interesting to see what of today's bestsellers lists holds up to the test of time.

Beth F. Somehow I'm not surprised at all that you've read Hawaii more than once ;-) We really do have very similar tastes in books and in reading histories.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP