THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update January 8, 2011

>> Saturday, January 8, 2011


So this is an experiment. I’ll give it a few weeks (or less) to decide whether or not it’s something I want to continue. I like the idea of a weekly overview post.

A lot of book bloggers I know participate in the “Sunday Salon” postings and I enjoy reading them. I’m hesitant to commit to joining the Sunday Salon party for a variety of reasons. First of all, I get a bit rebellious about the committing to one day thing. I already have a commitment to posting on a specific day of the week with my Wordless Wednesday photos and I don’t really want to commit to this type of post being always on Sunday. In fact, it’s much more likely to get posted on Saturday, but might show up on Sunday once in a while if I continue. Another reason I don’t want to join the Sunday Salon group is that it’s now hosted on Facebook. My blog is my blog and it's here, it’s not on Facebook. I have no intention of creating an additional Facebook identity for my blog. I have a Facebook account already for my family and face-to-face friends and don't want two accounts. I tried that a while ago and deleted it. I also may not always talk about books and reading in these weekend updates. They might be my place to ramble on about completely unrelated matters (to be a little whimpulsive so to speak).

Moving back to the topic at hand:

This week: 

Well the whole New Year, New Beginnings process always seems a bit rejuvenating to me. Setting up fresh worksheets in my spreadsheets for tracking my reading feels like opening a door to possibilities for adventure, learning, and fun with the books I’ll read this year. While I enjoy the holiday season, there’s something refreshing about packing away all the decorations and moving out of vacation mode and back into my normal routine.

I updated the blog with a new template and new look and I’m very pleased with how it turned out. I spent a lot of time getting it ready and tweaking a test blog and it paid off with a fairly easy transition when I actually made the changeover. I hope you’re enjoying the new look too.

As for reading, being back into the routine means a little less reading time than I had while I was on vacation. I’m struggling a bit with balancing work, life, and reading time into a mix that I’m happy with. Work has been busy and I’m finding myself easily distracted when I sit down with a book these days. Perhaps it’s a bit of vacation hangover right now. I’ve got a pile of books that I want to get through in the next few weeks and I’m excited about reading each and every one of them.

Books I added to my TBR List (To Be Read) this week:


State of the Onion by Julie Hyzy – it seems that this White House Chef series is the buzz of the book blog world this week. The newest installment was released this week and many of my book blogging buddies are reading and raving about this series. I do enjoy a cozy mystery type of series and this one sounds fun so I requested the first book from the library.






The Radleys by Matt Haig – my Bookseller friend from Alabama mentioned that she’s reading this one so I checked it out and I’m definitely intrigued.









Georgia Bottoms by Mark Childress – another one my friend in Alabama is reading that sounds like fun. I do love books set in the South.







Obviously I need to come up with a better way to refer to my Alabama Bookseller friend. She used to have a book blog I could link to, but that’s no longer an option. I need to come up with a good Code Name and/or link for her because I get a ton of book recommendations from her and will likely be referring to her often.


Books I bought this week:



Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt – one of those that’s been on my list forever but I have yet to read it.

9 comments:

Eleanor 1/08/2011 8:14 AM  

You could call me what you ALWAYS call me. I really miss blogging regularly about the books I read, but it just got to be too much of an occupational hazard. I am happy to have folks know that I am on Goodreads, of course!

SuziQoregon 1/08/2011 8:24 AM  

Maybe I'll link to your goodreads profile then. I understand that the book blog was problematic, but I wasn't sure where to link on the blog when I refer to you . . . It's always nice to give you credit for your recommendations and mentions, but I also want folks to have a way to know you and see your other recommendations.

Susan 1/08/2011 10:51 AM  

I love to read too, and on my blog I have attempted to do reviews on the books I read. But I guess I am lazy-I would much rather move on to the next book! I'm on GoodReads too, so I just give it my rating and move on.

Beth F 1/09/2011 5:52 AM  

I joined Sunday Salon on Facebook in case I want to write an SS post. For the last few months, I silently experimented with rarely posting on Sundays, because I have weekend cooking going on Saturday. It's worked out well for me and I love having one day of low-key, post if I want to.

Love the new look and I'll be looking forward to this feature if and when you write it.

Bookfool 1/09/2011 9:37 PM  

I'm exactly the same way -- I don't want to commit to doing the same thing every week, although I make an exception for Fiona Friday, at this point. I'm also really not a joiner. I don't want to do something 100 other people are doing. Not sure why, but I suppose it's just that like doing my own thing.

I keep thinking someday I'll read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but I still haven't gotten to it, either. Enjoy your new books!

SuziQoregon 1/12/2011 6:05 PM  

Susan: well, I started this blog to keep track of my books, all the other stuff has just kind of evolved over the years.

Beth F: I do love the idea of a weekly low key sort of open format kind of post, but I just didn't want to deal with managing two facebook accounts.

Bookfool: exactly - the commitment and the not wanting to do the same thing are both my reasons for doing something this way.

Kailana 1/13/2011 10:34 AM  

I did a Week in Review on Sundays in 2009... Started to do it last year and failed at pretty much everything, but I am bringing it back this year. It is technically Sunday Salon, but I feel the need to not join everyone else and do my own thing. Plus, if I keep it up, at least if I vanish for most the week that post will show I am still alive. :)

Lesley 1/13/2011 12:34 PM  

I joined Sunday Salon about this time last year, but apart from a couple posts early on, I've never really participated, pretty much for all the reasons you stated. I didn't even know they'd moved to Facebook!

For your friend - Alabooker?

Yvann 1/22/2011 2:21 PM  

I have joined the Sunday Salon gang but I have been writing it on Saturday so far. I have deliberately not joined the Facebook group for the same reasons as you - I guard my real life Facebook very carefully.

I have only found you the last few days, but I think the new template looks excellent.

I have seen The Radleys promoted in a few places so will be interested to see what you think.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP