THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

1225 Christmas Tree Lane by Debbie Macomber

>> Friday, October 14, 2011

The Revisionists by Thomas Mullen
1225 Christmas Tree Lane by Debbie Macomber

Genre: Fiction
Series: #12 in the Cedar Cove Series
Publisher: Mira
Publication Date: 2011
Pages: 283
Source: Copy provided by publisher through NetGalley

The Short Version:
The final book in the Cedar Cove series is both a nice holiday book and a fitting finale to a series.

Why I Read It:
I have been a loyal reader of this and the Blossom Street series by Debbie Macomber over the years and wanted to spend one last visit with the folks I’ve gotten to know in Cedar Cove.

The Book
The Cedar Cove series has followed several families of characters over the years. This time around the main focus of the story is Beth Morehouse.

From the Publisher:

The people of Cedar Cove know how to celebrate Christmas. Like Grace and Olivia and everyone else, Beth Morehouse expects this Christmas to be one of her best. Her small Christmas tree farm is prospering, her daughters and her dogs are happy and well, and her new relationship with local vet Ted Reynolds is showing plenty of romantic promise.
But…someone recently left a basket filled with puppies on her doorstep, puppies she’s determined to place in good homes. That’s complication #1. And #2 is that her daughters Bailey and Sophie have invited their dad, Beth’s long-divorced husband, Kent, to Cedar Cove for Christmas. The girls have visions of a mom-and-dad reunion dancing in their heads.
As always in life-and in Cedar Cove-there are surprises, too. More than one family’s going to have a puppy under the tree. More than one scheme will go awry. And more than one romance will have a happy ending!


My Thoughts:
I felt this was a fitting finale to this series. I know that Debbie Macomber likes to do a Christmas themed book every year and I liked that she ended this series with one. Of course I knew going in that it would all turn out for the best for everyone involved but it was a great revisit and wrap up of the series.

The basketful of abandoned puppies were a great way to visit all of the families and characters that have been part of the previous books in the series. As each of the puppies is adopted by a now familiar Cedar Cove family, it provides a chance to catch up and reflect back on the events that were part of whatever book in which they were the focus.

Sure it’s contrived and hokey but it fits with this series and gives a nice way to virtually take a tour through town and see what’s up with old friends.

Aside from the puppy adoptions there is also Beth’s story.While the outcome of her college aged daughters attempts to reunite their parents is totally predictable, there are some humorous moments along the way.
It’s a pleasant combination of feel good holiday story and final tour and check in with some favorite characters. It’s a series I’ve enjoyed and some characters that I’ll miss.



Rating 3/5

5 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) 10/14/2011 7:34 AM  

Although I think this series has run its course I've enjoyed it. I'll miss Cedar Cove. I still need to read the one before this and then I'll read this in Dec.

Kay 10/14/2011 8:16 AM  

I've got the last 3 books to read. Think I'll read one for each month of this year. I have enjoyed this series as well. It's sweet and predictable, but it's been exactly the right thing to read at times. I've loved it.

Kailana 10/15/2011 3:54 AM  

I have been seeing this series around for years. I suppose because there are 12 books... I think someone even tried to get me to read it at some point. Now that it is completed, I might have to at least give the first book a read.

Les 10/17/2011 3:44 AM  

Now that the series has come to and end, maybe I'll dive in with #1. I know I have at least a half dozen of these waiting to be read. December might be just the perfect time to start. I could use sweet and predictable during the holiday craziness. I'm usually too exhausted after work to read much of anything!

SuziQoregon 11/01/2011 9:36 PM  

Mary: yes, it has run it's course. I think it's fitting that she end it now and with a Christmas book.

Kay: I like that plan. I'm glad you understand the 'right thing to read at times'. This is definitely a series for that.

Kailama: it's definitely not a series that I would recommend reading close together but it's a good one to toss into the mix when you need something light.

Les: Sweet and predictable is a good description. During your holiday busy schedule might be a good time for one.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP