THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update: October 23, 2011

>> Sunday, October 23, 2011


Weekend Update
Since my last update:

I didn’t do a Weekend Update last week because I was out of town and then this week turned into one of those too busy to sit down except when too tired to even pick up a book weeks. As a result I’ve taken an inadvertent week off from the blog other than Wednesday’s photo. That works out well since I also took an inadvertent week off from finishing any books until last Friday.

I finished Chris Bohjalian’s The Night Strangers. This was an interesting ghostly story that had elements of and reminded me of several of my favorite spooky reads and horror books from over the years. I’m still reading Marcus Sakey’s short story collection Scar Tissue: Seven Stories of Love and Wounds. If all goes as planned today I’ll be talking about a couple of those on tomorrow’s Short Story Monday post. I've started The Tigress of Forli by Elizabeth Lev. It's about Catarina Sforza who was an Italian Noblewoman who took on Cesare Borgia when hardly anyone else had the guts to do so.

I also finished the audio of Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. I am so glad I paid attention to my bookish twitter friends who recommended this audiobook. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The biting satire, humor and excellent reading by the author were a great combination. I was telling The Hubster yesterday that when he finishes his current project of listening to the Harry Potter series (he’s currently halftway through Order of the Phoenix) this will be in his audiobook queue. I’m not sure what he’ll think but when I was trying to tell him about it yesterday he said it sounded fun.

I’ve barely started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (read by Wil Wheaton) as my new audiobook, but I’m enjoying it already.


Other than books and reading:

The reason didn’t post an update last weekend was that I was out of town. I went to Atlanta to spend a long weekend with some dear friends. We came from four different directions and met in Atlanta. It was a wonderful weekend of relaxing and chatting punctuated with trips to a couple of restaurants associated with some of our favorite Top Chef contestants.

The dining highlight of the weekend was dinner at Woodfire Grill. Kevin Gillespie is one of my all time favorite Top Chef contestants and is the co-owner and executive chef. It was truly an amazing meal in a fabulous atmosphere. Ben Stiller at the next table was an added interesting bonus. My fellow Top Chef fans will get a kick out of what is on the wall in the Women’s restroom at Woodfire Grill:
Kevin's picture
click on the photos for a larger version

It was a whirlwind of a weekend capped off by a great sunset and view of the Pacific Northwest Mountains as we landed in Portland.

Sunset at 36,000 feet
Sunset at 36,000 feet


Mt. St. Helens on the left, Mt. Adams on the right and Mt. Rainier barely visible in between.
Mountains from the plane


I did manage to accomplish something and made some good progress on a scarf I’m making. I’ll probably end up giving this one away, but I wanted to try this pattern out. Eventually I’m going to make this for myself in red as a reminder of The Night Circus.
scarf


New on my shelves and lists:

I’ve kind of lost track of what’s been added to my TBR list in the past couple of weeks but I did add this one this week.

Before the Poison by Peter Robinson
 Before the Poison by Peter Robinson
I’ve been a fan of Robinson’s Inspector Banks series for several years and while I’m still somewhere in the middle of that series, I’m looking forward to this standalone that will be released in the US in February.

I checked my status for the What’s in a Name 4 challenge and I need to get busy so I have this one out from the library.

Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil by Nancy Atherton
 Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil by Nancy Atherton
It’s my next book in a cozy series I enjoy and it counts for that challenge too.

Hope you're having a great weekend!!

7 comments:

Kay 10/23/2011 9:27 AM  

How nice for you to get a week away! I'm so glad you posted the pictures of "my" mountains from the air. I think that is favorite thing about flying into Portland. The fabulous mountain views. People have no idea, do they? LOL

Have a good week!!

Aarti 10/23/2011 10:13 AM  

That sunset picture is gorgeous! Sometimes I wish I lived by mountains. But I'm from the Midwest, so I guess I'm pretty used to not seeing them very often.

Kailana 10/24/2011 2:22 AM  

Great pictures!

I think when I read Ready Player One I am going to see about getting the audio version.

Les 10/24/2011 3:48 AM  

I'm interested to hear how you liked Bohjalian's latest novel. From what I've read, it sounds quite scary!

Fabulous photo of the jet engine kissed by the setting sun! I've never taken pictures from a plane. The windows always look so scratched and dirty, but yours is very sharp and clean. Nice job!!

I, too, love flying into Portland. :)

Eleanor 10/24/2011 5:16 AM  

Love this. That is all.

unfinishedperson2.com 10/24/2011 6:42 AM  

Love the photos, of course...

...but how dare you be out of town and miss a Weekend Spotlight? Don't you know our weekends revolve around your posting that? ;)

SuziQoregon 11/02/2011 12:49 PM  

Kay - it was a long weekend but it was wonderful. I agree - flying into Portland is beautiful no matter what side of the plane you're on - the folks on the other side from me had a fabulous close up view of Mt. Hood.

Aarti: I grew up here and lived in the Midwest and Texas while I was in High School and college. I really missed the mountains.

Kailana: of I definitely recommend the audio of Ready Player One!

Les: I'm late responding to comments, so my review of Night Strangers is already posted. Thought it was good. It had elements that reminded me of some horror books from my high school and college years when I was reading a lot of that genre. Glad you liked the photo. I loved the way the sun was shining on that engine. I've had mixed results with taking photos through plane windows both with my iphone and my camera but I'm willing to take some bad ones because every once in a while they turn out great.

Eleanor: I'm glad.

UnfinishedPerson: you crack me up!!!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP