THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update December 4, 2011

>> Sunday, December 4, 2011


Weekend Update
Since my last update:

The busy season is definitely here. I’m just not getting as much reading time as I would like but it’s all good. I finished Flawless: Inside the Largest diamond Heist in History by Scott Andrew Selby and Greg Campbell. It was a great story of a real crime and the investigation that has still not answered all the questions.

I started reading Turn of Mind by Alice La Plante. I’m fascinated by her choice to tell the story from the perspective of a woman with Alzheimer’s disease. The mystery in the story is secondary to the story of the main character and her struggles with her disease.

I finished listening to Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (read by Wil Wheaton) and highly recommend it. My new audiobook is A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny. I love this series and I’m very glad to be listening to Ralph Cosham reading to me again.

I’m continuing to read the short stories in Poachers by Tom Franklin. His writing is so atmospheric and beautiful that I enjoy even the dark stuff because of the way he writes.

Yesterday was Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day. Since we don’t have kids and don’t have any conveniently borrowable kids in our lives we did something a little different. I wanted to commemorate the day so we went to Powells and bought some children’s books that we’ll be donating to a holiday gift drive.
Bookstore Books



Where and When did I read in November

Scar Tissue: Seven Stories of Love and Wounds – Present day Chicago

The Tigress of Forli – 1463 - 1526 Italy

Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil – Present day near the border of England and Scotland

Flawless: Inside the Largest diamond Heist in History – 2000-2009 Antwerp, Belgium and Turin, Italy

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team – Present Day California

Ready Player One – 2044 United States

Other than books and reading:

I’ve been busy with life in general but I’ve enjoyed the knitting classes I’ve been taking quite a bit. I finished my first sock and have started the mate. These will be slipper socks when I’m done. I’m ridiculously proud of these for my first venture into sock making. I’ll definitely be making more.
socks



New on my shelves and lists:

The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg
 The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg
BethFishReads posted a review of the sequel to this one and she convinced me that I need to give this author a try.

Missing Persons by Clare O'Donohue
”Missing
A mention of an upcoming second book in this series caught my interest so I requested this from the library.

The Lola Quartet by Emily St. John Mandel
”
I read one other book by her and found it interesting. The description of this one definitely has me curious.

Start Shooting by Charlie Newton
”
When Jen at Jen's Book Thoughts tweets "O...M...G....it's good!" I don't bother asking further questions. I just add it to my TBR list.

The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy
”
This is an author I follow on Twitter and I'm looking forward to reading her book when it comes out in January.

A Simple Act of Violence by R.J. Ellroy
”
Between the comments from Jen and the fact that it's ready by Kevin Kenerly I really couldn't pass up getting this audio from the library.


Hope you're having a great weekend!!

3 comments:

Les 12/05/2011 3:43 PM  

I'm fairly certain that Turn of Mind will wind up on my Top Ten for 2011. Time to start compiling that list...

Ooooh! I didn't know Tom Franklin had a collection of short stories. I loved Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter!

Looks like you had a fun time at Powell's. :) And those socks are beautiful. Love the colors!

jenny milchman 12/06/2011 5:30 AM  

What a wonderful way to celebrate Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day! We stay in Portland every summer, and Powells is one of my very favorite places to be.

Almost all of your book picks are ones I've either read to want to. I think we may be of like minds! If you do get a chance to respond via email, I'm at jenny (at) wedeskyull (dot) com. I'd love to correspond about books and ways to get Powells involved in next year's Day!

SuziQoregon 12/24/2011 8:19 PM  

Les: I don't think I'm going to do a Best Of list. I'm already kind of burned out on them.

Jenny: thanks - it was a fun and I think we're going to make that a tradition,

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP