THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

>> Friday, January 13, 2012

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

Genre: Mystery
Series: #7 in the Inspector Armand Gamache series
Publisher: MacMilllan Audio
Publication Date: 2011
Read by: Ralph Cosham
Source: Library

The Short Version:
The focus of the series moves back to Three Pines when a body if found in Peter and Clara Morrow’s garden the morning after the party celebrating Clara’s first solo art show.

Why I Read It:
I have enjoyed listening to this series from the first book. The only bad part about reading this latest one is that now I have to wait so long for the next book.


The Book:
Clara Morrow’s first solo exhibition brings together many returning characters from earlier books in this series. It’s a new character however, who is found dead in the Clara’s flowerbed the next morning. The victim was Lillian Dyson who had a connection to Clara and to Clara’s husband, Peter. She also had connections to many other people that were in Three Pines that night.

As Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team return to Three Pines to investigate they find themselves including people who have become friends in the list of potential suspects. They also find themselves continuing to deal with the aftermath and ramifications of the horrifying events that took place a few months ago. Those events are a major part of the previous book, Bury Your Dead, so I’m not going to say more here. If you have read Bury Your Dead you can be assured that the storylines in that book do continue to progress in this book.

The case of Lillian Dyson tests Gamache and his team and also tests Peter and Clara Morrow. There are truths about their past as well as truths about their relationship and professional lives that must be faced. The secrets are many and the answers are few, but do include the answer to who killed Lillian Dyson. That and some of the other developments in this series may surprise you.

My Thoughts:
I’m going to say it again. This series is continuing to get better with every book. I loved the way that ongoing storylines progressed while at the same time the central case of this particular book is fully addressed withing the book. While some books in this series can stand on their own, I do not recommend reading this one unless you’ve at least read both The Brutal Telling and Bury Your Dead.

I highly recommend the audio version of this series. I admit I’m biased because I’ve listened to all of them. They’re probably just as wonderful if you read them but the audio versions have made me a huge fan of both Lousie Pennny for her writing talent and of Ralph Cosham for his audio performance talent. To me he is Inspector Gamache.

I enjoyed the murder mystery in this one. The road the investigation took was interesting and there were some surprises along the way. I like a mystery that makes me change my mind about who the murder might be several times along the way. At the same time I also thoroughly enjoyed the continuing stories of the now familiar characters in Three Pines and in Inspector Gamache’s team. There are some serious wounds for some of these characters at this point and their ongoing stories are one of the reasons I enjoy this series so much. I have come to know Peter and Clara Morrow as well as Olivier and Gabri who run the Bistro and the B&B. Gamache’s assistant Jean Guy Beauvoir has become one of my favorite characters. The struggles he’s faced in the recent books are becoming more and more involved and one of my favorite parts ot this series.

Ruth the prickly poet is also one of my very favorite characters and the image the author paints of her at the end of this book was a beautiful moment.

If you’ve read the previous books in this series you will enjoy this one just as much or more than the others. If you haven’t read this series I encourage you to give it a shot and I also recommend the audio versions as read by the amazing Ralph Cosham.


Rating 4.5/5



SoundBytes is a weekly roundup of audio book reviews hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books.

5 comments:

Kay 1/13/2012 7:01 AM  

I love this series so much. Each book becomes my favorite, until the next one. I've listened to the first two and intend to continue "rereading" through listening.

The characters are wonderful and I always feel like I've visited old friends. Jean Guy is becoming more and more a favorite of mine. Gamache is the best, of course, but I'm really feeling the love for Jean Guy.

Jen - Devourer of Books 1/13/2012 11:41 AM  

I really, really need to get back to this series. I read the first book and really liked it but just haven't gone back. Must try to get the second one in audio!

Les 1/13/2012 12:05 PM  

I've only read the first in this series. I'm on the last Maisie Dobbs' audio, so once that's finished, I'll start listening to these.

Teresa 1/13/2012 2:44 PM  

I've seen several people comment on this series, but it is new to me. I'll have to check it out.

What is the first one called?

SuziQoregon 1/30/2012 9:13 PM  

Kay: so do I! I'm glad you gave the audio versions a try. I agree that Jean Guy is becoming more complex and interesting as the series goes on.

Jen: Oh you should. It really gets better and better with every book.

Les: Yes- try the audio of this series. Ralph Cosham is great.

Teresa: Hope you decided to try the series.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP