THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Criminal Plots II Challenge

>> Thursday, January 5, 2012

Last year I only participated in one reading challenge. I was determined that in 2012 I would once again have the What’s in a Name? Challenge as my one and only.reading challenge for the year. Then Jen at Jen’s Book Thoughts stepped in. She’s doing the Criminal Plots Challenge again this year. Last year I was strong and resisted it, but this year I have no willpower.

I am officially joining the Criminal Plots II Challenge.


This challenge combines my favorite genre (crime fiction) with the books by category format of the What’s in a Name? Challenge. Resistance is useless.

This year's Rules of the Road:

You'll be reading six books between January 1, 2012, and December 31, 2012. One book should be read that fits into each of the following categories:

1. Novel with a weapon in the title (examples: A Night of Long Knives, A Nail Through the Heart, Sharp Objects, The Rope, Lay Down my Sword and Shield)

2. Book published at least 10 years ago - this should be an easy one, time to pull out those backlists (examples: Goodnight Irene,The Black Echo, Indemnity Only)

3. Book written by an author from the state/province/etc. where you live. (I live in Ohio, so examples for me would be Carla Buckley, Les Roberts, Craig McDonald)

4. Book written by an author using a pen name (i.e., Spencer Quinn, Ross Macdonald, Ariana Franklin, Noah Boyd, Juliett Blackwell, Lisa Black)

5. Crime novel whose protagonist is the opposite gender of the author (i.e., Demolition Angel, Bury Your Dead, Calumet City)

6. A stand-alone novel written by an author who writes at least one series (i.e., El Gavilan (Craig McDonald), Long Gone (Alafair Burke), The Lock Artist (Steve Hamilton), Envy the Night (Michael Koryta), The Most Dangerous Thing (Laura Lippman))


Other Important Details:

  • You can read the books in any format you choose: print, audio, e-book, etc.
  • You can read books from any sub-genre of crime fiction: hardboiled, P.I., police procedural, cozy, thriller, etc.
  • You do not need to have a blog to participate.
  • You can use the books for other challenges but one book cannot count for more than one category in THIS challenge.
  • Books do not need to be pre-determined. You can choose them at any time throughout the year. And you can read them in whatever order you choose.
  • At the conclusion, each participant that completes the challenge will be entered for a chance at one of three prize packs

I was all ready to pass this one up until I realized that Jen has somehow managed to tap into my TBR list while compiling her list of examples. I need to figure out how she hacked into my computer or phone.

Here are the books I’m considering for each category but I’m reserving the right to change my mind as the whimpulse strikes.

1. Novel with a weapon in the title
A Nail Through the Heart by Timpthy Hallinan is already on my TBR list (and I suspect Jen knew that)

2. Book published at least 10 years ago
Well Schooled in Murder by Margaret George (it's been a while since I read one of her books so this is good incentive)

3. Book written by an author from the state/province/etc. where you live.
The Night Season by Chelsea Cain (this series is already one I've already targeted for catch up in 2012)

4. Book written by an author using a pen name
City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin (this was an easy choice since I've wanted to read her for ages but just haven't yet)

5. Crime novel whose protagonist is the opposite gender of the author
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (also on my TBR list for years but as yet unread)

6. A stand-alone novel written by an author who writes at least one series
Envy the Night by Michael Koryta just happens to already be on my TBR list. ( I have finishing up his Lincoln Perry series on my 2012 To Do list)

If, like me, this one strikes your fancy - check out the rest of the details and join in the fun at the Criminal Plots II sign up.

3 comments:

Jen 1/05/2012 7:09 AM  

Yay!! And those are some GREAT options, too. :-)

Kailana 1/05/2012 9:27 AM  

How did I miss this challenge? I have never even heard of it before... Good luck!

SuziQoregon 1/30/2012 9:09 PM  

Jen: you made it too hard to resist!

Kailana: Hope you decide to join in!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP