THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update February 19, 2012

>> Sunday, February 19, 2012


Weekend Update

Since my last update:

I finished Accidents of Providence by Stacia M. Brown this week. It was a mix of historical fiction and crime fiction. I liked it but didn’t love it. I think I was more intrigued by the secondary stories than I was by the primary story.

From there I moved into straight historical fiction and started The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great. I’ve been fascinated with Russian imperial history ever since I read Robert Massie’s Nicholas and Alexandra many many years ago. I have Massie’s biography of Catherine on my shelf but wanted to read the historical fiction one first. So far, I’m liking it a lot.

I had a road trip to Olympia, Washington last Sunday so I had several hours of quality audiobook time to spend with New Tricks by David Rosenfelt which was read by Grover Gardner. I finished it on Friday. It’s always tricky to switch to audio partway through a series. You take the chance that the narrator is totally wrong compared to how the characters sounded in your head when you were reading the paper editions. I have to say that Grover Gardner is great for this series and audio may become my preferred format for this one.

My new audiobook is Rules of Civility by Amor Towles, read by Rebecca Lowman. I’m nearly done with the first cd and so far I’m loving it.

Other than books and reading:

As I mentioned I spent Sunday on the road to meet some friends for lunch and several hours of chatting with a couple of dear friends. We meet in Olympia because it’s halfway between my house and the friend who lives farthest north. Doesn’t everyone routinely drive 2 and a half hours for a lunch date? I really like the way the old downtown part of Olympia looks.
Downtown Olympia

Also, our backyard has been hosting some sort of small bird convention this week.
bird convention

Hope you're having a great weekend!!

4 comments:

Les 2/19/2012 7:15 AM  

Look at that green grass!! Jealous!! ;)

I've gone through my stacks, looking for mass markets to pack for my trip to Hawaii and came across one of David Rosenfelt's stand-alones (Don't Tell a Soul). I hope it's good. I have two others by him, but not the first in the series, so I'll have to wait on that. I'm trying to pack light. Ha!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Kailana 2/19/2012 10:21 AM  

Sounds like a fun lunch!

Enjoy what's left of your weekend and I hope you have a great week!

Nulaanne 2/19/2012 4:44 PM  

I love Olympia, but then I live there.

SuziQoregon 2/21/2012 2:02 PM  

Les: yeah - you got the snow lately didn't you? Too funny - Don't Tell a Soul is on my possible vacation reads list too. Haven't read one of his standalone's before.

Kailana: it was - Olympia is just about halfway between me and the friend who comes from Northern Washington. We get together every few months. It's great.

Nulaane: then it's a good thing you like it. It's always seemed like a nice place whenver I've visited there.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP