THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Touring my TBR Spreadsheet and Shelves - October 2012

>> Thursday, October 25, 2012



This month I’m going to talk a bit about what’s new on my shelves and my To Be Read list.

What’s new on the shelves recently:
Who I Am by Pete Townshend
This one isn’t even for me. The Hubster is a longtime fan of The Who and when this one showed up in multiple newsletters the week it was released, I sent a link to the Rolling Stones review to The Hubster to see if he wanted me to pick up a copy. I knew he would so the asking was pretty much a formality.
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
This one has been on the TBR list for a while but I haven’t gotten around to readin it yet. I’ve seen so many good reviews of this and the follow up (Bring Up The Bodies) and now a second Man Booker Prize. It’s time and it needed to be purchased.
Whose Body by Dorothy Sayers
The Lord Peter Wimsey series Is another oldie but goodie that I’ve heard about for ages and never read. Thanks to BethFishReads and Ana at Things Mean a Lot both encouraging me I went ahead and picked up a copy last time I was at Powells


New on the ipod:
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
This is actually my current audiobook. The reason I got this one is because of the publication anniversary post on NPR. It mentioned that E.B White narrated the audio himself and had a hard time getting through Charlotte’s death without breaking down. I love this book and Wilbur is the screensaver on my nook. It’s time to re-experience and seriously what a great book to have read to me?


New on my library shelf:

I’m planning ahead and making my library requests now. Jenn at Jenn’s Bookshelves is planning a Cozy Mystery event sometime in early December so I’ve been gathering a selection of books from some of my favorite cozy series in preparation for this.

Crossed Bones by Carolyn Haines
This is a fun series with a sassy ghost who cracks me up.
Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
I’ve read some of Bowen’s Molly Murphy series but this is the first book in another series she writes that looks totally fun. From the publisher:
Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, 34th in line for the throne, is flat broke. She's bolted Scotland, her greedy brother, and her fish-faced betrothed for London. The place where she'll experience freedom, learn life lessons aplenty, do a bit of spying for HRH—oh, and find a dead Frenchman in her tub. Now her new job is to clear her long family name.
Indigo Dying by Susan Wittig Albert
This is a series featuring a herb shop owner in a small town in the hill country of Texas. China Bayles is smart and the series is fun and filled with interesting tidbits about herbs.
Aunt Dimity: Detective by Nancy Atherton
Another series featuring a ghost. Aunt Dimity isn’t quite as funny as Jitty from Carolyn Haines series mentioned above, but she’s smart and kind. She communicates through writing in a journal and one of these days I hope she’s going to tell Lori Shepherd to stop flirting with every man that comes along while her adoring husband is home with the kids. Yes - this is a series where the main character is beginning to annoy me but I’m willing to give it a couple of more books before I decide whether it’s a series I need to break up with or not.

5 comments:

Lynne 10/25/2012 6:27 AM  

I think you'll really like the Rhys Bowen series - I love them!

Les 10/25/2012 11:06 AM  

Rod is currently reading Keith Richard's memoir, Life, and might be interested in Townshend's book once he's finished. It sure seems like there are a lot of music bios out this fall. Pete Townshend, Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, Neil Young, Carole King, Adele, and Gregg Allman. I've only read King's book and really have no interest in the others.

Peppermint Ph.D. 10/26/2012 3:19 AM  

Wolf Hall is a great read...to be taken slow though and savored...not a speed read. I haven't read Bringing Up the Bodies yet for that very reason; I haven't had time to slow down lately :(

Beth F 10/28/2012 5:12 AM  

I love Aunt Dimity -- light but fun.

OHHHHHHHHHH I wish I could read the Lord Peter books again for the first time. You lucky person.

SuziQoregon 10/29/2012 10:13 AM  

Lynne: It looks fun and I do already enjoy her Molly Murphy books.

Les: I'm not much of a memoir fan but The Hubster is such a fan of The Who that I got it for him. I doubt I'll ever read it.

Peppermint PhD: I've heard such good things about Wolf Hall but almost everyone says it best to read in smaller doses. I've heard that the audio of Bring Up the Bodies is amazing.

Beth F: Aunt Dimity is fun but is a series I have to space out and not read too close together. I'm really looking forward to reading Whose Body.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP