THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Criminal Plots II Challenge Completed

>> Saturday, December 22, 2012

I have officially completed the Criminal Plots II Challenge.

I had promised myself that I would only do the What's in a Name Challenge but this one combined my favorite genre (crime fiction) with the books by category format of the What’s in a Name Challenge. Resistance was useless.

Participants were required to read 6 books from any subgenre of crime fiction (hardboiled, P.I., police procedural, cozy, thriller, etc.) that qualified for one of each of six categories.

The amazing Jen at Jen's Book Thoughts put this one together and she came up with a great list of categories.

Here are the books I read for each category (links are to my reviews):

A novel with a Weapon in the title: Fer de Lance by Rex Stout. Fer de Lance is French for spearhead and also a type of snake. This was the first book in the Nero Wolfe series.

A book published at least 10 years ago: Pronto by Elmore Leonard. I am a huge fan of the TV series Justified. This book was one that was a basis for the series and it was a ton of fun.

A book written by an author from the state/province/etc. where you live: The Night Season by Chelsea Cain. I've been a fan of Chelsea Cain from back in the days when she was a columnist for the local paper. This challenge was a good nudge to get closer to caught up with her Archie and Gretchen series..

A book written by an author using a pen name: The Ape Who Guards the Balance by Elizabeth Peters. I love the Amelia Peabody series and the author's true identity is Barbara Mertz

A crime novel whose protagonist is the opposite gender of the author: The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny. I admit to having a literary crush on Penny's main character Chief Inspector Armand Gamache.

A stand-alone novel written by an author who writes at least one series: The Prophet by Michael Koryta was another outstanding stand-alone by the author of the Lincoln Perry series.


I enjoyed this challenge. In all honesty I didn't have to look to hard to find books to fit each category. I've always got plenty of crime fiction on my TBR list to choose from.

Big thanks to Jen for a fun and interesting challenge!

2 comments:

Beth F 12/23/2012 4:15 AM  

I think this challenge sounds like it was fun. I wish I had played along but so much of my reading is dictated by work and blog commitments that I need a few books a year that are just for me.

SuziQoregon 12/31/2012 8:54 PM  

BethF: It was fun but I'll admit that I read so much crime fiction that it really wasn't a stretch for me to complete.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP