THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

>> Thursday, December 6, 2012

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Genre: Cozy Mystery
Series: #1 in the Royal Spyness series
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime
Publication Date: 2007
Pages: 324
Source: Library


The Short Version:
Being distantly related to the Royal Family gives Lady Georgiana both privileges and troubles in 1930’s London.

Why I Read It:
I’ve read a few of Rhys Bowen’s Molly Murphy books and enjoy them. This series sounded a little more lighthearted and fun so I decided to give it at try.

The Book:
Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie is the daughter of the late Duke of Atholt and Rannoch. Unfortunately now that her half-brother is the Duke and struggling to financially keep up the family estate, Georgie (as she’s known) has no income. When you’re 34th in line to the throne, your career path is pretty much to get married. The queen is very much interested in matching up Georgie with Prince Siegfried of Romania but Georgie isn’t too keen on the idea. She refers to him as “FishFace” and in the 1930’s she’s well aware that European royalty are prime targets for assassination or exile.

Georgie decides to head to London to live her own life. It’s complicated by the limitations that being part of the extended Royal Family put on her and then complicated even further when she finds a body in her bathtub. With her half-brother under suspicion for murder Georgie needs all the self-reliance she can muster to clear his name (and her own).

My Thoughts:

"The time has come for action!" I shouted into the storm. I was no longer a minor. I was able to go where I wanted without a chaperon, to make my own decisions and to choose my own life. It wasn't as if I were either the heir or the spare. I was only thirty-fourth in line to the throne. Being a mere woman, I could never inherit the dukedom or Castle Rannoch efin if Binky had not produced a son. I was not going to sit around one minute longer waiting for the future to come to me. I was going to do out into the world to choose my own destiny.

What a fun heroine. I like Georgie. This lively romp through 1930’s English society includes cameo appearances by The Queen, The Prince of Wales and even Wallis Warfield Simpson (portrayed rather unflatteringly by the way). Georgie’s mother is a former actress who has gone on to accumulate a number of husbands after leaving Georgie’s father but is really fun secondary character. Her scenes with Mrs. Simpson are a crackup.

The murder mystery is really only about half the story and as the first in a series there’s a lot of set up and introduction of characters.

This is definitely a lighthearted book and despite the dangers both to Georgie’s health and her virtue it remains mostly fun. I am definitely looking forward to continuing with this series.

3.5 stars Rating 3.5/5

This post is for Cozy Mystery Week hosted by Jenn at Jenn's Bookshelves.



3 comments:

Charlie 12/07/2012 7:38 AM  

This sounds really fun, despite the murder aspect. Your writing about it reflected this too, I can imagine the nature of the book well.

hopeinbrazil 12/08/2012 1:49 AM  

Sounds fun. I'll keep this title in mind.

SuziQoregon 12/22/2012 9:21 PM  

Charlie: it's really a lot of fun - I'm looking forward ot continuing with the series.

HopeinBrazil: Hope you give it a try. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP