THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The What’s In a Name 6 Challenge

>> Friday, December 21, 2012

What's in a Name 6

What’s In a Name 6


This is the only challenge I plan to commit to for 2013. It’s been my favorite challenge from its very first incarnation. I was so happy when Beth Fish Reads took over the reins and has kept this challenge alive and fun.

Yes I know I haven’t completed this year’s version of this challenge but I’m reading the final book and will have it wrapped up in the next few days.

The Challenge is really pretty simple and you don’t have to list out specific books ahead of time. Sometimes I’ve ‘accidentally’ completed a category and only realized later that a book title qualified.

Here’s how it works:
Between January 1 and December 31, 2013, read one book in each of the following categories:
1. A book with up or down (or equivalent) in the title: Deep down True, The Girl Below, The Diva Digs up the Dirt
2. A book with something you'd find in your kitchen in the title: Loose Lips Sink Ships, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Breadcrumbs
3. A book with a party or celebration in the title: A Feast for Crows, A Wedding in Haiti, Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness
4. A book with fire (or equivalent) in the title: Burning for Revenge, Fireworks over Toccoa, Catching Fire
5. A book with an emotion in the title: Baltimore Blues, Say You're Sorry, Dreams of Joy
6. A book with lost or found (or equivalent) in the title: The Book of Lost Fragrances, The World We Found, A Discovery of Witches
The book titles are just suggestions, you can read whatever book you want to fit the category.

Other Things to Know
• Books may be any form (audio, print, e-book).
• Books may overlap other challenges.
• Books may not overlap categories; you need a different book for each category.
• Creativity for matching the categories is not only allowed but encouraged.
• You do not have to make a list of books before hand.
• You do not have to read through the categories in any particular order.

Once again Beth Fish Reads has managed to come up with a fun set of categories. She allows for a lot of creativity and even though some are easy it always seems like there’s one category that I have a hard time finding a book that qualifies. I browsed my TBR list and bookshelves and found books that will work for all but the Kitchen category. I have a feeling that might be my tough one this year but you never can be sure. I’m constantly adding books to my TBR list and the perfect title might come along any day.

I know you’re looking at the categories and thinking of what books you have that might fit. Admit it. You are, aren’t you? Why don’t you get yourself over to the Sign Up post at Beth Fish Reads and join the fun.

One very important note that’s not included in the above information is that you do not have to have a blog to participate. You can use a Tumblr account, your Facebook page or just post in the comments on the sign up post.

Here are the books I have initially listed as possibilities for each category. I may read something different but these are the ones I came up with fairly quickly:

A book with UP or Down in the title – Watership Down by Richard Adams(I read it years ago but I’ve got the audio version on my ipod)

A book with something you’d find in your Kitchen in the title – Do cats count? I have cats in my kitchen.

A book with a Party or Celebration in the title – Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian

A book with Fire in the title – Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille or Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

A book with an Emotion in the title – Envy the Night by Michael Koryta

A book with Lost or Found in the title – The Lost Ones by Ace Atkins.


Oh come on – click on over to Beth Fish Reads and join the fun.

4 comments:

Lynne 12/21/2012 6:09 AM  

I'm definitely doing this one too - one of my favorites. I haven't even thought about the books yet. My TBR stack is getting very low - time to look for new books and I'll try to find ones to fit the categories.

Beth F 12/21/2012 6:09 AM  

Welcome to the challenge and what an awesome post! Thanks so much. (and if cats are in your kitchen, who am I to argue?)

Howard Sherman 12/21/2012 6:49 AM  

Sounds like a great challenge to really mix things up on our TBR lists for 2013. I've always liked challenges for their creativity and exposure to new kinds of books. Why I've never participated in one remains a mystery to me.

SuziQoregon 12/31/2012 8:52 PM  

Lynne:Yay! it's such a fun challenge and different every year. I love scouring my TBR list for titles that qualify.

Beth F: Thank you for keeping this challenge so fun and fresh every year!

Howard: It's a ton of fun - you should join in!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP