THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – The Navigator by Clive Cussler and Paul Kemprecos

>> Friday, March 8, 2013

The Navigator by Clive Cussler and Paul Kemprecos

The Navigator by Clive Cussler and Paul Kemprecos

Genre: Adventure
Series: #7 in the Kurt Austin (The NUMA Files) series
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Publication Date: 2007
Length: 14 hours, 34 minutes
Read by: Scott Brick
Source: Library

The Short Version:
An ancient statue may hold the key to long lost and hidden treasure and Kurt Austin has to save and of course, get the girl.

Why I Read It:
I enjoy the escapist adventure of this series and the timing was such that it was exactly what I was in the mood to listen to.

The Book:
From the publisher:
Years ago, an ancient Phoenician statue known as the Navigator was stolen from the Baghdad museum, and there are men who would do anything to get their hands on it. Their first victim is a crooked antiquities dealer, murdered in cold blood. Their second very nearly is a UN investigator who, were it not for the timely assistance of Austin and Zavala, would now be at the bottom of a watery grave.

What’s so special about this statue? Austin wonders. The search for answers will take the NUMA team on an astonishing odyssey through time and space, one that encompasses no less than the lost treasures of King Solomon, a mysterious packet of documents personally encoded by Thomas Jefferson, and a top-secret scientific project that could change the world forever.

And that’s before the surprises really begin. . . .

My Thoughts:
I have enjoyed this series for a while now. I think I like it even more since I switched to audio instead of reading the paper versions. Scott Brick is so good at narrating these books. He performs a wide variety of characters and accents and keeps the entertainment level high.

The story is kind of like listening to an adventure movie. The good guys are smart, skilled and have vast resources at their beck and call. The bad guys are brilliant, brutal and determined to achieve their goals at all costs. In classic Cussler style, the women are all both gorgeous and brilliant and Kurt Austin saves the day and gets the girl. The formula works for Cussler and it’s a lot of fun.

This one throws in plenty of hard to believe twists and turns. History at times is more of a guideline actually for Cussler. He plays freely with historical figures but it’s all in fun and makes the adventure interesting. Don’t expect it to be believable but just enjoy the fun .

3.5 stars Rating 3.5/5 for the book

4.5 stars Rating 4.5/5 for the narration



SoundBytes is a weekly roundup of audio book reviews hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books.

3 comments:

jenclair 3/08/2013 7:20 AM  

I'm not familiar with series, but I like the sound of it! I do love my escapist fiction!

Laurie C 3/10/2013 11:19 AM  

Your "Currently Reading" list shows off the eclectic nature of your reading! I doubt Clive Cussler's books would appeal to me, but I like Scott Brick!

SuziQoregon 3/12/2013 7:33 PM  

Jenclair: they're fun. Not great writing but exciting adventure stuff and great on audio.

Laurie: it does doesn't it? I read a lot of different things. Glad to see another Scott Brick fan. I need to see what other books he's narrated that I might like.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP