THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

>> Friday, March 29, 2013

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Series: #2 in the Little House series
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: originally 1935, this edition 1963
Pages: 335
Source: library


The Short Version:
The Ingalls family moves from the Big Woods of Wisconsin to the Prairies of the Indian Territory near Independence Kansas.

Why I Read It:
I’m thoroughly enjoying revisiting this series thanks to Lisa at Books. Lists. Life who organized the Little House Read-along.

The Book:
The Ingalls family leaves the Big Woods of Wisconsin and sets out in a covered wagon. After an adventurous trip and some dangerous times for the family dog, Pa Ingalls finds a spot he’s happy with for the family’s new home. They settle in, build a log cabin and begin to create a new home for themselves.

They get to know their neighbors and have some encounters with the Native Americans in the area and find themselves in danger from a prairie fire.

My Thoughts:
I am not going to worry about spoilers with this series.

Somehow in my memory of this series the whole moving to Indian Territory and then having to leave because it wasn’t really open for homesteading when Pa Ingalls plunked his family down on the prairie got completely lost. I had totally remembered going from the Big Woods straight to Plum Creek.

As the scenes of the book played out I remembered most of them individually but the background story of being in the Indian Territory and later having to leave wasn’t part of that memory.

I’m just going to post a few random thoughts that ran through my head as I read this

The scenes with the Indians and particularly Ma’s comments are now good opportunities for parents and children to discuss when reading this together. What may have been common attitudes at the time can be an excellent learning experience for today’s children. Historical fiction or (fictionalized autobiography in this case) is a wonderful gateway to teaching children about history and sparking their interest in learning more.

Poor Jack the Bulldog.

Pa is kind of a hothead. His reaction and anger when told that the land he’d assumed he could use was going to be set aside for the Indians was rather ironic.

Mr. Edwards of the books is so not big burly Victor French of the TV series.

Being out on the prairie all alone with neighbors not in sight took a lot of courage.

4.5 stars Rating 4.5/5


Click on the photo for a link to the details

3 comments:

Bryan G. 4/06/2013 7:06 AM  

I miss that about Mr. Edwards. :(

Lisa 4/10/2013 6:13 PM  

Man I wish I had the brain and time to reply better, but- Pa!!! I'm with Bryan (in his post) Pa just can not be trusted!

SuziQoregon 4/24/2013 9:19 PM  

Bryan: I never really watched the TV series much so it didn't bother me.

Lisa: LOL yeah I agree.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP