THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update April 13, 2013

>> Saturday, April 13, 2013

Weekend Update

Since my last update:
I finished reading Blessed Are Those Who Thirst by Anne Hold. It’s the second in a series featuring a female detective in Oslo. I actually read the eighth in the series first (because it was the first to be translated and released here). After that the earlier books have been released and I’ve really enjoyed getting to know Hanne Wilhelmsen from the beginning of the series. The third book will be out in June and I’m looking forward to reading it.

I started the second book in Timothy Hallinan’s Junior Bender series. Both The Hubster and I enjoyed Crashed so much and I’m glad to be reading the second in this fun series.

I’m also still reading Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My plan to finish it this week got derailed but I’m having fun revisiting this series I loved as a child. It’s interesting to look at it again so many years later.

On audio I’m almost finished with Year Zero by Rob Reid and narrated by John Hodgman. I’ll admit that the first half of this book held my interest much more than the second half. Perhaps the uniqueness wore off before the book was over.

We’re off on a road trip this weekend so we’ll be listening to a new audiobook together. I’ve got several loaded on the ipod and I’ll let The Hubster make the choice of which we listen to.

I re-read Saga Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughan this week before I had to return it to the library. I think it was even more impressive the second time around and I rated it five stars the first time. The second volume will be out this summer and I think this is a series I’ll be buying rather than getting from the library. I hope to get The Hubster to read them.

Other than books and reading:

Last Sunday we had another 5k race. This one was in our neighborhood and was put on by the local middle school. It was nice to have a race where the starting line was within walking distance of our front door. The starting time of 9am was nice too. The bad part was that we live in a hilly neighborhood and much of mile three of the course was not only uphill but with an increasing grade on the hill. I shocked myself and finished in a personal best time and got second in my age group. We were also very lucky that the race was almost the only dry hour of the day too.

Today we’re headed to Southern Oregon for one of our trips to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. We’ll be seeing My Fair Lady tonight in a production that doesn’t have an orchestra but the music is provided by two pianos. It’s apparently a version approved by one of the composers (Frederick Loewe). I’ve never seen My Fair Lady so it should be fun. We’ll also be seeing King Lear.

Browsing this week’s iphone photos…
As always click on the photos for a larger version

One day this week I was a bit early and took a nice early morning walk through downtown before work.

“Transcendence”— a sculpture by Keith Jellum
I love architectural and artistic whimsy. The bonus about this downtown Portland building is that this is on the side of the building that faces Salmon Street.

I also love the juxtaposition of old and new.
Jackson Tower Building and Fox Tower Building

One of the Photo A Day assignments this week was “A Place” and I was very happy how this early morning image of Pioneer Square turned out.
Pioneer Square Portland

Oh, and Canada . . . your geese are on their way home.

Canada Geese


Hope you’re having a great weekend!

3 comments:

Beth F 4/14/2013 5:17 AM  

Love the fishy building!! And your Pioneer Sq photo is one of my all-time favorites.

Dee 4/14/2013 8:53 AM  

I love how that fish building picture faces "Salmon Street"

And your "A Place" photo is rather enchanting, reminding me of an early morning breakfast in France.

SuziQoregon 4/27/2013 8:59 PM  

Beth F: yeah the fish is fun. Glad you like the Pioneer Square photo - it's destined to be one of my favorites.

Dee: fun, huh? and yes - I think that's why that Pioneer Square photo appeals to me - it feels a bit European.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP