THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen

>> Friday, May 3, 2013

Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen

Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen

Genre: Mystery/ Humor
Publisher: Recorded Books
Publication Date: 2003 Recorded Books (Book originally published 1988)
Length: 13 hours, 13 minutes
Read by: George Wilson
Source: Purchased

The Short Version:
Bass fishing tournaments, television evangelists and evil land developers are only part of what gets humorously and thoroughly skewered in this madcap comic mystery.

Why I Read It:
It was road trip time and The Hubster and I had listened to Hiaasen’s first book several years ago so I loaded this one up on the iPod.

The Book:
This one is far too wacky and complicated for me to attempt so summarize so I’ll stick with the print publishers description.
R.J. Decker, star tenant of the local trailer park and neophyte private eye is fishing for a killer. Thanks to a sportsman's scam that's anything but sportsmanlike, there's a body floating in Coon Bog, Florida -- and a lot that's rotten in the murky waters of big-stakes, large-mouth bass tournaments. Here Decker will team up with a half-blind, half-mad hermit with an appetite for road kill; dare to kiss his ex-wife while she's in bed with her new husband; and face deadly TV evangelists, dangerously seductive women, and a pistol-toting redneck with a pit bull on his arm. And here his own life becomes part of the stakes. For while the "double whammy" is the lure, first prize is for the most ingenious murder.

My Thoughts:
Trust me, that description isn’t nearly as crazy as half the things that happen in this book. Quirky doesn’t begin to describe the some of the characters. Most of them are over the top bananas or caricatures. The story is loony and at times a bit gruesome. But it made me laugh. It made me laugh a lot.

R.J. Decker is perhaps the sanest character and he’s got issues. Skink (who is a recurring character in Hiaasen’s books) is off the charts odd but I can’t help but like the guy. The bad guys are plenty evil and I now know way more about competitive bass fishing than I ever cared to.

This is just fun and it’s great in audio format. I think that some of the things that happened felt even funnier because I was hearing them rather than reading them. George Wilson has a perfect wry and sardonic tone that is exactly what Hiaasen’s books need.

I’ll definitely be getting more of these and in audio format. It’s not a type of book I like a steady diet of but they’re great fun to listen to on road trips with The Hubster and as a change of pace from what I normally read or listen to.

3 stars Rating 3/5 for the book

4 stars Rating 4/5 for the narration



SoundBytes is a weekly roundup of audio book reviews hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books.

2 comments:

Laurie C 5/03/2013 3:36 PM  

My husband and I have to drive to NYC and back from Massachusetts next month, so this sounds like a perfect choice for us. Thanks for the suggestion!

SuziQoregon 5/07/2013 9:02 PM  

Laurie - it's pretty wacky - hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP