THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Sherlock Holmes Reading Challenge

>> Thursday, May 23, 2013


The Sherlock Holmes Reading Challenge




I'm breaking my only one challenge rule for this one but I have a very good reason. I planned to read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes sometime soon anyway and this challenge gives me a reason to not put that off.

Mari over at Mari Reads is hosting a Sherlock Holmes Reading Challenge and I am so in. This is partially related to the TV series which I have not watched (but I want to at some point) but also about reading the Sherlock Holmes books.

Mari has set this up with varying levels of participation so that it works for folks who have read some of the Sherlock Holmes books and stories and also for those who haven't read any.

The Hubster and I have both read the first two books in the series and I have The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes but have just not read it yet.

Here's the info about this challenge: 
For those of you going through Sherlock withdrawal like me, I have a reading challenge for you. I thought it would be fun, while we wait for Season 3, to go back to the originals and read Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock. Here is the list of all the Holmes books, minus a few short stories that I thought might be hard to get a hold of. You can find most of these as free eBooks.

A Study in Scarlet (1887)
The Sign of Four (1890)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1894)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902)
The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1905)
The Valley of Fear (1915)
His Last Bow (1917)
The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (1927)

To make this easy and give lots of options for participation you can choose your level of expertise in deduction from the options below.

Inspector
Read all 9 listed above.

Lieutenant
Read 6 of your choosing.

Detective
Read 3 of your choosing.

Officer
Read 1 of your choosing.

The Challenge will run from June 1-Dec 31st.

All who participate will be entered for a giveaway, one entry for each book read and reviewed. The more you read, the more chances you get to win a copy of Sherlock, Season 1 or 2 on DVD.

I'm not going to go overboard on this one and I'm only committing to reading one book but I'm looking forward to reading more Sherlock Holmes. I enjoyed the first two and I'm glad to have this challenge as a reason to stop putting off reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Have you read any of the books? If not, this is a good time to give one or more a try. If you have, it's a good reason to read the next one.

Oh come on – click on over to the announcement post at Mari Reads and join the fun.

3 comments:

Mari Reads 5/23/2013 9:20 AM  

I am so glad you are participating. I have A study in Scarlet and Adventures to read. Should probably get The Sign of Four and read in order. :)

Bryan G. 6/01/2013 7:06 AM  

I'm in...I think I saw this through you initially so thanks for introducing me to it.

SuziQoregon 6/06/2013 9:35 PM  

Mari: Yay! Thanks for hosting.

Bryan: You're the main reason I started reading the Sherlock Holmes books in the first place.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP