THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Under the Dome Summer Read-Along

>> Saturday, May 25, 2013

Natalie at Coffee and a Book Chick, Trish at Love, Laughter and a Touch of Insanity (the unofficial readalong queen of my Twitter timeline) and Les at Prairie Horizons didn’t exactly gang up on me but it’s all their fault.


Well actually it’s not. I’m just vulnerable to what I call ‘tweerpressure’. That’s what happens when a bunch of people in my Twitter timeline get all enthusiastic about a new project or readalong and the next thing I know I’m thinking about joining in.

This one wasn’t hard to influence me about though. Under the Dome by Stephen King has been on my TBR list since before it was actually published. Now that there’s a television adaptation coming along I really want to read it before watching the mini-series anyway. Add to that the fun of reading it at the same time as folks I know but with a schedule that doesn’t look like it will stress me out too much and the next thing I know I bought the ebook. I prefer to read the big fat chunky ones in ebook format simply because it’s so much easier to hold and to haul back and forth to work in my backpack.

Here’s the quick details from Natalie’s Sign Up post over at Coffee and a Book Chick but please go on over to her blog and read the full sign up post. I hope you’ll consider joining in.

You Want Structure? You Got it.
  • Do you need a blog to participate? No way. If you don't have a blog, you can either sign up in the comments below, or you can create a free account with either Goodreads, Shelfari, or LibraryThing and enter that information into the linky below. Any of those sites will make it easier for you to track your thoughts, or you can use a Twitter account to sign up. If you don't want to do any of those, but still want to participate, then you can post your thoughts in the comments for each of the mile-marker posts throughout the readalong.
  • Timeline: May 25 through July 27
  • How many posts? Who cares! It's informal. However, if you want a little structure, you can do a kick-off post now, then a middle-of-the-road post (halfway through the book) on June 24 (to celebrate the mini-series premiere even though we all probably won't watch it until we're done reading), and then a final sayonara post on July 27. Sound good?
  • Twitter-chat? Use the hashtag #DomeAlong
  • Mini-series Twitter chat? After the readalong as we watch our DVR'd recordings of the show? Maybe?
  • And do anything you want in-between! Throw a "Stephen King, you are freakishly awesome" party, or do a screamfest movie marathon, or write a gushing post on the fall release of Dr. Sleep, the sequel to The Shining. Or, you can just post your glee on the fact that you've been a horrible blogger and reader in 2013 and this readalong is going to bring. you. back. Back, baby! Oh, maybe that's just me...

And now to answer a few questions from the organizers . . .

Show us your copy! Audio or print?
ebook - it's my preferred format for the big fat books

Have you read Uncle Stevie before?
Oh yes - I first read Carrie when I was in High School and devoured everything King wrote for many years. The Stand is still one of my all time favorite books. I fell out of the Uncle Stevie habit after college but I bought 11/23/63 when it was published (but haven't read it yet) and was intrigued enough about Under the Dome to add it to my TBR list before it was released.

What are you familiar with about Under the Dome or Stephen King?
I only know the bare minimum about Under the Dome as I haven't even read the full blurb on the book cover yet. As I said above I'm a longtime fan of Stephen King so I know that things can get twisty and weird.

What are you looking forward to?
I'm looking forward to reading the book, talking about the book and watching the TV adaptation when I'm done.

8 comments:

Jennifer @ The Relentless Reader 5/25/2013 7:48 AM  

Yahoo #domealong! This is going to be a blast :)

Les 5/25/2013 8:03 AM  

Yay! Glad you're in! ;)

Suey 5/25/2013 1:19 PM  

I did a bit of a read along I think it's been almost 2 years ago. It's a crazy ride this book. I'll be look forward to all the chatting, even if I don't plan to re-read. Enjoy!

Kailana 5/25/2013 5:39 PM  

Have fun! I frankly suck at read-alongs... :)

Howard Sherman 5/30/2013 8:12 AM  

I read 11/23/63 immediately and hung on every word. Like you, I took an Uncle Stevie sabbatical for some years after I read The Stand. I've heard a little about Under The Dome but not nearly enough. And a researching I will go!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick 5/30/2013 2:32 PM  

So excited you're joining! 11/22/63 was my first time reading Stephen King and then I just couldn't stop. Under the Dome should be FUN! I'm about 450 pages in and I cannot put it down!

Trish 6/12/2013 5:54 AM  

:) Unofficial readalong queen, huh? Well--I'll take it. Both my mom and sister are also reading this one, too. Makes it more fun, huh? :P

SuziQoregon 6/18/2013 7:47 PM  

Jennifer: yes it will!

Les: I couldn't resist.

Suey: Hope you join in on the chat.

Kailana: I've been a bit hit and miss with readalongs but I really want to read this one anyway so that might help.

Howard: I still need to read 11/23/63 bur that'll have to wait. Hope you end up reading Under the Dome even if you don't join in the readalong.

Natalie: Good to hear you're hooked!

Trish: OK maybe "Official" Readalong Queen??

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP