THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – Kindness Goes Unpunished by Craig Johnson

>> Friday, June 14, 2013

Kindness Goes Unpunished by Craig Johnson

Kindness Goes Unpunished by Craig Johnson

Genre: Mystery
Series: #3 in the Walt Longmire series
Publisher: Recorded Books
Publication Date: 2007 Recorded Books (Book originally published 2007)
Length: 8 hours, 42 minutes
Read by: George Guidall
Source: Library

The Short Version:
The Sheriff Walt Longmire series shifts location from Wyoming to downtown Philadelphia when Walt and his friend Henry take a trip that does not go as planned.

Why I Read It:
It’s all because of Jen at Jen’s Book Thoughts that I even started this series and she certainly didn’t steer me wrong. Because of her I went with the audio format over the print and that has been an excellent decision and why I’ll continue with audio.

The Book:
Sheriff Walt Longmire and his friend Henry Standing Bear head out on a road trip to Philadelphia. Henry is involved with an exhibit of Native American photographs for the Philadelphia Art Museum. Walt is tagging along so that he can visit his daughter Cady.

When Cady ends up in the hospital in serious condition, Walt is soon involved in the investigation and hunt for her assailant.

From the author’s website:
With Henry, Deputy Victoria Moretti, the entire Moretti clan of Philadelphia police officers, and Dog as backup, Sheriff Longmire intends to introduce a little western justice from his saddlebag of tricks to the City of Brotherly Love, where no act of kindness goes unpunished.

My Thoughts:
The location of Absaroka County Wyoming is a key part of the Walt Longmire series. Taking a series in which place is so crucial out of it is a risky thing. Craig Johnson makes it work.

The fact that Philadelphia was already an important location to more than one character helps. Longmire’s daughter lives and works there and Deputy Vic Moretti is from there and her family still live there. What seems a bit out of place in this one is the element of the trip is Henry’s and his exhibit at the Art Museum in Philadelphia was the element that felt like a stretch to me. The rest worked just fine, although I will be glad to see Walt and the rest of the characters back in Wyoming.

The mystery of why Cady was hurt and who is responsible is a good one. I liked how the investigation involved some of the Moretti family yet they were not the primary investigators. Walt working with the Philly cops reminded me a bit of the old TV series McCloud with Dennis Weaver playing a New Mexico Marshall in New York. The difference in this book was that for Walt Longmire this was personal.

I enjoyed how the change of venue for the series allowed for the introduction and addition to the backstory of Vic’s family and her relationships with them.

The story moves along quickly with a mix of police investigation, a father’s fear for his daughter, a little romance, a lot of action and occasional bits of humor to break the tension.

I like Walt and I love the way George Guidall tells the story from his viewpoint. His delivery fits Walt’s character and his voice characterizations for the other characters work well.

I highly recommend this series and definitely recommend the audio format. We have just started watching the first season of the TV series Longmire and so far I like it a lot. It’s a well done compliment to the books. The stories have some similarities but they definitely veer off from the books and become complimentary rather than annoying because of the differences. It’s easy to enjoy both the books and the TV series.

4.5 stars Rating 4.5/5 for the book

4.5 stars Rating 4.5/5 for the narration



SoundBytes is a weekly roundup of audio book reviews hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books.

3 comments:

Beth F 6/15/2013 3:08 AM  

I need to get on the Johnson bandwagon... soon, soon.

SuziQoregon 6/18/2013 9:04 PM  

Yes you do. I'm fairly sure you'll like them.

Helene Smith 6/21/2013 8:29 PM  

My Dad was just mentioning this series and the tv show that goes along with it. Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP