THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

>> Friday, June 21, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Recorded Books
Publication Date: 2006 Harper Collins (Book originally published 1960)
Length: 12 hours, 21 minutes
Read by: Sissy Spacek
Source: Library

The Short Version:
Scout Finch is perfectly brought to life in this audio version narrated by Sissy Spacek.

Why I Read It:
When I first heard that Sissy Spacek was doing the 50th anniversary audio version of To Kill a Mockingbird I wanted to listen to it but I wanted to listen to it together with The Hubster. We had two road trips on back to back weekends so the timing finally worked out.

The Book:
From Powell's
The unforgettable novel of a childhood in a sleepy Southern town and the crisis of conscience that rocked it, To Kill A Mockingbird became both an instant bestseller and a critical success when it was first published in 1960. It went on to win the Pulitzer prize in 1961 and was later made into an Academy Award-winning film, also a classic.

Compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving, To Kill A Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behavior-to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos. Now with over 15 million copies in print and translated into forty languages, this regional story by a young Alabama woman claims universal appeal. Harper Lee always considered her book to be a simple love story. Today it is regarded as a masterpiece of American literature.

My Thoughts:
I don’t care how many times you’ve read this book. I don’t even care if you’ve listened to a different audio version. If you haven’t listened to Sissy Spacek read this book you have seriously missed out on an amazing experience.

I already loved the book and I’m not going to spend time here trying to convince you that this is a book you should read. It’s been well established as excellence in literature. I loved it when I read it in high school and I loved it even more when I read it as an adult. I have an unabashed literary crush on Atticus Finch.

This audio edition is the absolute perfect match of book and narrator. She brilliantly captures all of the characters and all of the emotions of this book. Her voice is almost exactly how I ‘heard’ Scout in my head when I read the print editions.

I have a friend who is a native of Alabama and I loved what she had to say about this audio edition so I got her permission to quote her in this review.
When we listened to that audiobook, I was so delighted to hear Spacek employ the many subtle shifts in the southern accent that speak of class, culture, education -- it’s something that actors who aren't from here never seem to get right. It was a perfect marriage of reader and book.
To have someone born and raised in Alabama feel that way about a Texan narrating this book tells you something about how good it is.

Do not miss this.

5 stars Rating 5/5 for the book

5 stars Rating 5/5 for the narration



SoundBytes is a weekly roundup of audio book reviews hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books.

4 comments:

Beth F 6/22/2013 4:07 AM  

Can you believe I've never listened to this? I hear nothing but raves about Spacek's narration.

Becky 6/22/2013 12:39 PM  

You've convinced me :)

Kailana 6/23/2013 6:24 AM  

Okay. I think I will have to do the audio on this one. Can you believe I have never read the book... It's one of my oldest books on my TBR!!

SuziQoregon 6/25/2013 9:04 PM  

Beth F: Oh you NEED to listen to this!

Becky: Yay!!

Kailana: Oh the book is fabulous but the audio really brings Scout's voice to life perfectly.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP