THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Unwritten .Vol. 7: The Wound by Mike Carey and Peter Gross

>> Friday, June 28, 2013

The Unwritten .Vol. 7: The Wound by Mike Carey and Peter Gross

The Unwritten .Vol. 7: The Wound by Mike Carey and Peter Gross

Genre: Fantasy (Graphic Novel)
Series: #7 in the Unwritten series
Publisher: Vertigo Comics
Publication Date: 2013
Pages: 144
Source: Library

The Short Version:
A new story arc in this series takes Tom’s story in a new direction and introduces some interesting new characters, some good, some rather evil.

Why I Read It:
have become addicted to this series and was on the waiting list for this one at the library before it was even released. I will be doing the same thing with the next one. In the meantime I’ll be reading Fables like mad because a Fables – Unwritten crossover is in the works.

The Book:
This volume 7 is a compilation of issues 36 - 41 of the comic series plus several bonus half issues.

From the back of the book:

A year after unbearable tragedy and loss, Tom Taylor is finally pulling himself back together. However, disconnected from the power of Leviathan, and the manipulations of the Cabal, the real world and the fictional world are facing a hurricane of chaos. And the damage seems to be spreading. That's precisely when a rash of mysterious disappearances catches the eye of young Aussie detective Didge Patterson. Didge's investigation suggests that the cult known as The Church of Tommy is involved. But when a gaggle of ghosts, a familiar vampire and an annoying unicorn are added to the mix, Tom Taylor finds an even bigger crisis unfolding before his eyes. Can Tom and Didge discover the secrets behind the cult's mysterious facade and heal "The Wound" before the real and fictional world crumble?

My Thoughts:
This is such an interesting series, particularly for a booklover because the literary references are so important. In this volume, however it shifts a bit an takes Tommy’s story in a new direction. The theme of the importance of stories hasn’t changed though. The introduction of some new villains and some new good guys was fun. Didge the Australian detective is smart and I like her. Also a unicorn with some sass and attitude. Yeah I know that sounds crazy but believe me in the context of this series it works.

I liked that the last episode featured Richie Savoy. He’s been through a lot for and with Tommy and his story is an important one so I’m glad he was featured in the final episode.

The previous volume seemed to tie up a lot of ongoing storylines so I knew this one would be the kickoff of a new major story arc. It worked well and I’m still as hooked as I’ve been since volume one. I will be re-reading this before I have to return it to the library.

The artwork is interesting and well done and continues to be a strong part of the story.

I cannot wait for the next volume to see where this will go next.

I highly recommend this series. If’s a great graphic novel series that everyone, but particularly booklovers can enjoy.

4.5 stars Rating 4.5/5

2 comments:

Beth F 6/29/2013 4:53 AM  

I'm not sure I've read the second one in this series yet!

SuziQoregon 7/01/2013 9:13 PM  

Beth F: Oh you really need to get caught up with this series. It just gets better with every volume.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP