THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update June 2, 2013

>> Sunday, June 2, 2013

Weekend Update

Since my last update:

It’s been a good reading week. Lots of reading. Not much finishing but I’ve got several books I’m in the middle of and they’re all good.

I did finish Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. While I didn’t love it as much as some of the folks I know I thought it was good. This is big because I really didn’t like Atkinson’s first two books at all so I’ve kind of avoided her after those. The overwhelming praise for Life After Life got me to try it again and it was good. It took me a couple of days of pondering after I finished it to decide whether I liked the end or not but I eventually decided it was appropriate. Now maybe I’ll give Atkinson another shot and finally pick up Case Histories at some point.

I started Stephen King’s Under the Dome for the readalong hosted by Natalie at Coffee and a Book Chick

It’s been a while since I read anything by Stephen King but it’s nice to see some familiar places mentioned early on. I’m really enjoying this one so far.

I also started By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder for the Little House Readalong. This is my treadmill book so the rainy weather earlier this week meant more treadmill time for me. This is actually the May book for the Readalong so I’m still behind schedule but having a mix of enjoying revisiting the books and responding to them with a bit of snarkiness.

Yesterday I started Breakfast at Tiffay’s by Truman Capote. I have never read this and I have also never seen the movie. The only thing I know about it is the movie photos of Audrey Hepburn. I put it on my TBR list because when I read Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society by Amy Hill Hearth back in January it was a book club selection of the characters in that book.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s is short (a novella really) and the edition I have also includes three of Capote’s short stories. The only thing of his I’ve read before is In Cold Blood way back when (I think I was in High School) so it’s fun to read more of his work.

As for Graphic Novels I finished the fourth book in the Fables series by Bill Willingham, The March of the Wooden Soldiers. This was a good one. I can’t wait for The Hubster to read it so we can talk about it.

My next Graphic Novel will be The Unwritten Vol. 7, The Wound. This is the newest release in this series. I need to get it read because it’s due back at the library and there are other people on the hold list so I can’t renew it.

On audio I’m listening to the third book in the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson. It’s Kindness Goes Unpunished and it’s read by George Guidall. This one takes Walt out of his normal element to Philadelphia. I’m enjoying it so far.

Other than books and reading:


Safeco Field
Last Sunday we went up to Seattle with friends for a baseball game. I always enjoy going to games at Safeco Field.
a rare photo of us
 The rain stopped just in time for us to have our traditional pre-game beer at the Pyramid Brewery parking lot across the street.

Safeco Field

They had the roof closed for the game but it’s not really an indoor ballpark – it’s more of a giant carport with a retractable roof.

The weather was kind of icky most of the week but it got nice again just in time for the weekend. I had a wonderful long walk yesterday morning. Today will be another mellow one with only a couple of things on the must be done today list.

Browsing the phone photos from this week:
Here are a few from the walk I took yesterday. We're lucky to have nice walking paths and parks that the local Parks and Rec district maintains in the Powerline right of ways that go through the area. It makes for great parks and nice options for walking routes.

The geese and their youngsters were hanging out by the lake.
Geese at Bethany Lake Park


This one seems to prefer the company of ducks.
Geese and Ducks at Bethany Lake Park


Others were out for swimming lessons.
Ducks at Bethany Lake Park


Hope you’re having a great weekend!

2 comments:

Bryan G. 6/02/2013 11:17 AM  

You're the second person today to mention the Fables series. I've only read a prequel, but haven't gotten to the others yet, because I can't find them at any of the libraries I use. :( Maybe some day I'll break down and buy them...but until then, I'll just have to live (somewhat) vicariously through you and others who write about them. :)

SuziQoregon 6/18/2013 8:46 PM  

Bryan: I think you'd enjoy the Fables series. Sorry your libraries don't have them. I'm lucky that Graphic Novels seem to be popular here so the libraries have a good collection.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP