THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update June 8, 2013

>> Sunday, June 9, 2013

Weekend Update

Since my last update:

I finished Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote. The edition I had also included three of his short stories. I enjoyed all of them. He really was an amazing writer. The only thing of his I’d read before was In Cold Blood so it was good to read some of his work that was so completely different from that.

I haven’t started anything new in print though. I've been continuing with Under the Dome by Stephen King. I need to keep up with that one in order to not lag too far behind the readalong. I’m really enjoying this one. I devoured everything King wrote in the 70’s and 80’s but sort of fell out of the Stephen King habit around the time of Rose Madder. It’s been good to return to the kind of Stephen King book I really enjoy with this one,.

I've also been reading By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder for the Little House Readalong. I’m still behind schedule in this readalong but I think that maybe the readalong has kind of lost its legs at this point. Nevertheless I plan to finish my re-read of the series. I can’t leave it unfinished at this point and I’m having a good time both enjoying the books and thinking snide thoughts as I read them.

My graphic novel reading this week was The Unwritten Vol. 7, The Wound. I wasn't sure where this series was going after the last one but this newest release has me eagerly awaiting volume 8.

I've got a couple of graphic novels out from the library right now so my next one will either be the fourth in the Y: The Last Man series or Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon which comes highly recommended by a friend.

On audio I’m making good progress in the third book in the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson. It’s Kindness Goes Unpunished and it’s read by George Guidall. This one takes Walt out of his normal element to Philadelphia. I’m enjoying it so far. It’s been interesting to have Walt out of his normal environment and there are some very interesting developments in the ongoing storylines for this series in this one.

For our road trip audiobook this weekend The Hubster and I are listening to To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It’s read by Sissy Spacek and they could not have found a better narrator for this book. She is absolutely perfect as the voice of Scout. We won’t finish it before we get home tonight but we've got another trip with some driving time next week and we’ll probably finish it then.

I do think it’s interesting that I started my week with Truman Capote and I’m finishing it with Harper Lee.


Other than books and reading:

It’s Rose Festival time in Portland and Pioneer Square has been decorated with this year’s logo in flowers. I can’t get high enough to get the best shot of his but it still looks pretty good. I like that they set out tables and chairs for folks to use. This was early morning but they've been well used in the afternoons.

Pioneer Square Rose Festival Display

Note: As always - click on photos for a larger version

We’re down in Southern Oregon this weekend. It’s one of our routine trips to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival with a couple stops at some favorite wineries added to the mix.

Friday night we saw Cymbeline in the outdoor Elizabethan theater. It was fun but a little odd all a the same time. It just opened this week and I’ll be curious to read the reviews. I predict that they’ll be very mixed. That would fit with the play though because it’s a mix of tragedy, romance and comedy.

The Elizabethan theater is an outdoor theater and this time of year it’s fun when the weather is as nice as we had this weekend. The play starts in daylight and when it ends the stars are out and the big dipper is straight overhead.

OSF Elizabethan Stage for Cymbeline

Saturday night we saw A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. I have never seen this play and I've also never seen the movie. This one was in one of the indoor theaters but we hadn't been able to work it in to our spring visit so we added it to this trip.

We stopped at Edenvale Winery on Friday and Saturday’s visit was at Trium Wines. Both are favorites of ours that we try to visit at least once a year while we’re down here.

Edenvale Winery

Edenvale was exceptionally pretty because it was a beautiful day and all of their roses are in bloom right now.

This is from inside the tasting room at Trium.
Trium Wines Tasting Room

This is from the deck where we relaxed with a glass of wine and read our books for a while. Just a great way to spend part of a weekend afternoon.


Trium Wines Deck

Hope you’re having a great weekend!

3 comments:

Jennifer @ The Relentless Reader 6/09/2013 7:43 AM  

You had a classic sandwich with Capote and Lee :) Nice!

I'm continuing with the DomeAlong as well. I'm having a good time with it. It's a good old classic King. It had been much too long since I'd read one of those.

Lovely photos :) Happy Sunday!

Trish 6/12/2013 5:53 AM  

One of our clients has an office that overlooks the garden you pictured--my coworker was showing me the pictures from the view the other day and it's absolutely stunning!

I'm glad you're enjoying Under the Dome. I keep meaning to ask you how far you are into the book. I'm to the point where I don't want to put it down but I'll need to for some book club books at the end of the month.

Oh that glass of wine looks mighty tasty. ;)

SuziQoregon 6/18/2013 8:58 PM  

Jennifer: exactly - it was actually kind of cool how that worked out. I too, am loving Under the Dome. It's the style of Stephen King that I enjoy the most.

Trish: Oh - I wish I could have taken a photo from up in one of the buildings overlooking the square. Glad you got to see some.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP