THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Hawkeye, Vol.1: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction

>> Friday, July 19, 2013

Hawkeye, Vol.1: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction

Hawkeye, Vol.1: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction

Genre: Superhero Comic/Graphic Novel)
Series: #1 in the Hawkeye series
Publisher: Marvel Now
Publication Date: 2013
Pages: 136
Source: Library


The Short Version:
Clint Barton (AKA Hawkeye) has a life outside of his work with The Avengers.

Why I Read It:
A friend of mine convinced me that I should read this. I’m glad he did.

The Book:
This volume 1 is a compilation of issues 1-5 of the comic series plus issue #6 of The Young Avengers Presents.

From the publisher:

The breakout star of this summer's blockbuster Avengers film, Clint Barton - aka the self-made hero Hawkeye - fights for justice! With ex-Young Avenger Kate Bishop by his side, he's out to prove himself as one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes! SHIELD recruits Clint to intercept a packet of incriminating evidence - before he becomes the most wanted man in the world. You won't believe what is on The Tape! What is the Vagabond Code? Matt Fraction pens a Hawkeye thriller that spans the globe...and the darkest parts of Hawkeye's mind. Barton and Bishop mean double the Hawkeye and double the trouble.

My Thoughts:
I’ve never read much in the way of superhero comics or books however in the past year we’ve been watching the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, etc) and have been having a great time just enjoying the fun. When my friend mentioned this series as part of some of the re-launching of some of the classic Marvel comics series I was intrigued. I was a little worried about jumping in without a lot of background on the character history and backstories but I thought this was just a whole lot of fun.

I really didn’t know anything about Hawkeye (Clint Barton). We still haven’t watched the movie The Avengers yet and Hawkeye only makes a small cameo appearance in Thor. Despite being fairly clueless about the character I enjoyed this first volume of this series and will be keeping my eye out for more.

Fraction's stories are simply fun and interesting. The artwork by David Aja for the first three is excellent. The 4th and 5th are the work of Javier Pulido. While good, having them compiled in this same volume makes the differences noticeable and showcases Aja's work as at a higher level.

The additional 6th issue included is from the "Young Avengers Presents" by Fraction and drawn by Alan Davis. It's very different artwork and has a very different feel from the Hawkeye issues. It's a good story that tells about Kate Bishop's first meeting with Clint Barton.

Every episode begins with "Okay, this looks bad" and starts somewhere in the middle. The previous parts of that particular episode are interspersed with current action so the chronology is a little back and forth but still easy to follow and moves the story along at a fast pace.

I will be watching for the next volume in this series. It may be my only foray into the Marvel Superheroes world but I’ll read more about Hawkeye.

3.5 stars Rating 3.5/5

2 comments:

Beth F 7/20/2013 4:01 AM  

Humm. I don't think this would be for me. I never heard of Hawkeye!

SuziQoregon 8/13/2013 9:34 PM  

BethF: Yeah - I understand. It's a stretch for me. Not sure I'd seek out any related stuff but this one I'll keep an eye out for.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP