THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Under the Dome Readalong Halfway Point Check In

>> Thursday, July 4, 2013

I joined up with the Under The Dome Readalong back at the end of May. I haven’t read as far as I’d hoped to by now but that doesn’t’ really matter. I’m enjoying the book

This is all because Natalie at Coffee and a Book Chick, Trish at Love, Laughter and a Touch of Insanity and Les at Prairie Horizons started talking about a readalong and I couldn’t resist.


I was suppose to post a halfway point post about a week and a half ago when the TV show started but that didn’t happen.

I actually hit the halfway point sometime on Tuesday.

I'm really enjoying the book. I'm glad that today is a holiday and that I don't have a lot planned. The weather looks like it's going to be great so I hope to spend a good chunk of my day today reading.

No, I haven't started watching the TV show. I am recording it but want to wait until I finish the book before we start watching.

After reading this letter to his fans from Stephen King I re-framed my expectations of the TV show. I don't expect it to be a re-telling of the book. I'm expecting to see a story that includes elements from the book but re-imagined for a different medium and type of schedule.

I’m fine with this because it’s similar to the way the Walt Longmire series adaptation for TV has gone. We finally started watching that several weeks ago and while the characters are ,mostly the same the stories and some key things from the book are very different in the Longmire TV series. As a fan of the books I’m thoroughly enjoying the television series and I’m hoping that with my re-framed expectations that the same will hold true for the Under the Dome television series.

From what I've been able to learn the producers of the TV series are hoping that this will be an ongoing series and not a mini-series of the book so that definitely requires some changes. Of course, I won’t know until I actually start watching and that’s not going to happen until I finish the book.

So – back to the book.

I’m reading the ebook edition because that’s my preferred format for big fat chunksters. As of last night I’m on page 760 out of 1348 so that’s a bit past halfway.

A few thoughts:

I find myself comparing characters in this story to other King stories (particularly The Stand). He definitely has certain types that show up in his books.

I'm a little hesitant to get attached to any of the characters because it seems like just about the time I do - WHAM!

Good guys and bad guys - Oh there are plenty of both and I love the way King does the Good vs. Evil thing.

I'm glad I'm not reading this in October with Halloween just around the corner.

I took a long break from Stephen King but I’m glad to be reading him again. This one is good. At least it is at this point. We’ll see what I think when I finish.

4 comments:

Les 7/04/2013 6:42 AM  

I'm on page 883 (ebook, as well). Don't have a lot planned for the day, so maybe I'll carve out a few hours and read out on the porch (until it gets too obnoxiously noisy outside!). I agree with all of your thoughts. Lotta folks dying off. Glad it's not October, although this book isn't nearly as creepy as some of his others. I'm not afraid to read it at night. Really dislike a few of the characters, though. Of course, we're supposed to. I'm looking forward to giving the show a try, but not until it's out on Netflix. Could be a while, eh?

Have a good 4th, Julie!

wordsforworms.com 7/11/2013 9:46 AM  

I finally finished this a few days ago- I'm still not sure how I feel about it as a whole! I'm afraid to watch the show at all, I think it'll just make me cranky.

SuziQoregon 7/18/2013 8:51 PM  

Les: I agree - not as creepy as some King books. Never bothered me to read at night or when alone. Now that I've finished it we'll be able to start the show.

Wordsforworms: I think I have eliminated any expectations about the show matching the book so I'll be approaching it as a whole new story about a town isolated by a dome.

My anxious life 7/26/2013 12:05 PM  

I enjoyed this book myself! It was fun to read. I am glad you are going to get back into King.. I always take a break every now and then but then I am sucked back in!

Angie

My half way through post for the readalong

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP