THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update July 28, 2013

>> Sunday, July 28, 2013

Weekend Update

Since my last update:
I read Death of the Demon by Anne Holt. This is the third book in the Hanne Wilhelmsen series which features a female detective in Oslo. I liked this entry in the series a lot.

I also finished the graphic novel Stumptown by Greg Rucka and Matthew Southworth. I enjoyed the detective story set in a slightly fictionalized Portland. I also really enjoyed the series of essays included in each issue in the compilation that Rucka wrote about the Private Investigator genre.

Continuing with Graphic novels I’m about halfway through The Drops of God, volume 2. It took me a bit to get back into the right to left reading format because it’s a Japanse Manga series. After a few pages it gets easier This series is about wine tasting and pairing wine with food. It’s a fun story about a competition between young rivals but it’s also quite informative about wine.

As for audio I’m still listening to Another Man’s Moccasins by Craig Johnson and narrated by George Guidall. It’s the fourth book in the Walt Longmire series. This one includes flashbacks to Walt’s time in Vietnam interspersed with a current story.

We were on vacation this week so for our road trip audiobook The Hubster and I have been listening to The Terra-Cotta Dog by Andrea Camilleri (narrated by Grover Gardner). This is the second in the Inspector Montalbano series. He’s a detective in Sicily. It’s a fun series with an interesting main character and setting. Plus Grover Gardner narrates it wonderfully.

Other than books and reading:
We’ve been on vacation at the Oregon coast this past week. I always end up reading less than I expect when we’re there because I get so entranced just watching the waves on the rocks in the ‘back yard’ of the house we rent. (it's 25 seconds but watch it all - there's a good one at the end)


We did get out for a hike

Carl G. Washburne State Park trail
They should really film an episode of Grimm here

Got some photos of my favorite view of the Heceta Head lighthouse
Heceta Head Lighthouse

And spent a week watching baby seagulls grow up and begin to learn to fend for themselves.

Juvenile seagull and parent
I just love their cute spotted heads.

Juvenile seagulls
Thing 1, Wilbur and Thing 2
Hope you’re having a great weekend!

5 comments:

Eleanor 7/28/2013 1:42 PM  

I love that walking trail! It was fun vacationing virtually with you.

Beth F 7/29/2013 4:41 AM  

I loved watching the little gulls all week. And that video? Sob. I miss the coast.

Howard Sherman 7/29/2013 11:04 AM  

Bird watching or Scandinavian crime fiction? Two truly enjoyable things. I could go in for the Hanne Wilhelmsen series or waterfowl all day.

Looks like you had some quality time in every sense of the word.

Les 7/29/2013 5:21 PM  

Looks like you had another great vacation! Love that wave action. Did you see any whales? We got lucky last May when we were in Little Whale Cove (Depoe Bay). Saw one hanging out in the kelp bed near the rocks. So awesome.

SuziQoregon 8/20/2013 8:51 PM  

El: thanks -- I enjoy sharing our vacations.

BethF: You really need to get out here for a visit.

Howard: Exactly - hard to decide which to focus on but I enjoyed it all.

Les: We did! And we've already made our reservations for next year ;-)

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP