THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Bout of Books 8.0 Goals and Updates

>> Monday, August 19, 2013

I am participating in my first Bout of Books this week.


The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 8.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
My goals for the week and all my updates will be on this post. I’ll also be updating via twitter.
___________________________________________________________________

Time Devoted to Reading
I am working full time this week so I can’t possibly spend a gazillion hours reading. I do plan to limit some of what is normally my time spent on social media or wandering aimlessly online and replace those activities with more reading time.

I also plan to see if there are ways that I can increase my routine audiobook listening time. I typically only listen when I’m in the car by myself or when I’m out walking but I plan to keep my ipod with me this week to add some additional audiobook time.

Usually weekends are not a big reading time for me. That’s when The Hubster and I tend to do things together whether it’s chores and errands or out doing fun stuff. This upcoming weekend however is my annual ‘weekend to myself’. He’s participating in the Hood to Coast relay race and will be gone from mid-day Friday until late Sunday morning. That means I can spend a lot more time than usual reading next weekend. Taking all of that into consideration these are my goals for time devoted to reading this week:
  • 2 hours a day total reading/listening time Monday - Thursday
  • 3 hours Friday
  • Saturday and Sunday as much as I feel like
___________________________________________________________________

My Goals:
  • Read 4 books after I finish my current book (typically 2 books a week is a good week for me)
  • Participate in at least one Bout of Books Tweet Chat
  • Participate in one Bout of Books challenge
  • Comment on 5 new to me blogs every day from the participants lists
  • Weather permitting take a long walk on Saturday morning for some extended Audiobook time
___________________________________________________________________

Reading List (which is really rather mythical):
I can’t possibly read all of these and it’s highly likely that I’ll pick up something that’s not even on the list. There’s a reason this blog is named Whimpulsive.

Anyway - here’s what’s on my radar for reading soon and that includes this week.
  • Killer Ambition by Marcia Clark (have been meaning to get to this one for weeks)
  • Let Me Go by Chelsea Cain (Local author - new release in a series I caught up with last year)
  • The Lost Ones by Ace Atkins (a title for the What’s in a Name Challenge)
  • Conspiracy of Faith by Jussi Adler Olsen (another one I've been meaning to get to for weeks)
  • Salem’s Lot by Stephen King (I need to start re-reading this because I've promised to write something about it by the end of September)
  • Night Film by Marisha Pessl (too many people I trust are raving about this one to let it languish on the shelf)
  • Gods of Gotham by Lindsay Frye (sequel is coming out in September)
And these for a change of pace from my usual mystery/ suspense genres:
  • Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (next up in my re-read of the series)
  • Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (it's been on my shelf since I finished the first in the series)
  • William Shakespeare's Star Wars : verily, a new hope by Ian Doescher (just picked this up at the library and can't wait to read it)
  • Y: The Last Man Vol. 5: Ring of Truth by Brian K. Vaughan (need some graphic novels for a change of pace)
  • Fables vol. 6: Homelands by Bill Willingham (another excellent graphic novel series)
Audio: As soon as I finish my current book I’ll be starting Lord of the Silent by Elizabeth Peters. It’s 14 cds long so I won’t finish it this week.

All of these are in the house and available and I’ve got a good mix of audio, print, ebooks, genres and types of book so I can change up the pace or mood when it strikes.
___________________________________________________________________

Updates:

Monday:
How much I read or listened to today:  I managed 30 minutes of reading on the treadmill on my lunch break and a walk to the library helped me get an hour of audiobook time after work. Then another 2 hours of reading in the evening gave me a lot more reading time than I'd expected to get today.  I read about 120 pages and listened to an hour of audio.
Total number of books completed this week:  I finished one that I was not quite halfway through as of this morning
Thoughts on today’s reading:  I finished She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel and finishd the second CD of The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories by Karin Slaughter. I also participated in today's TweetChat which was insanely fast but I had fun. Commented on at least 5 new to me blogs. I'm enjoying finding new to me bloggers. So I've met at least one of my goals for this week.


Tuesday:
How much I read or listened to today:  I didn't listen to my audiobook at all but I did get a total of about 2.5 hours of reading time in today.
Total number of books completed this week:  2. I finished the graphic novel I was in the middle of today.
Thoughts on today’s reading:  I finished Fables 5: The Mean Seasons. I love this graphic novel series. I started reading The Lost Ones by Ace Atkins. Quinn Colson is swoonworthy. This is a great series. This is the first time I've really had a chance to use my new Kobo Aura e-reader and I'm liking it a lot. I spent some time in the evening visiting and commenting on participant blogs so I'm keeping up with my goals so far.


Wednesday:
How much I read or listened to today:  I listened to about 30 minutes of my audiobook and spent a total of right around 2 hours reading. I'm meeting my goals so far.
Total number of books completed this week:  2
Thoughts on today’s reading:  I'm liking The Lost Ones by Ace Atkins a lot. I wish I'd had more time to read it but life and work prevented that. I was glad to get back to my audiobook after a day off. The Unremarkable Heart & Other Stories is a collection of short stories by Karin Slaughter. They all feature women at a crossroads in their lives and of course since it's Karin Slaughter there's some pretty twisted stuff going on in some of the stories.

I failed at my commenting goal so will have to make up for that tomorrow.


Thursday:
How much I read or listened to today: I didn't get as much reading time as planned yesterday but I did OK. I got about 35 minutes of audiobook time and about an hour total of reading time.
Total number of books completed this week: 2 - still the same
Thoughts on today’s reading: Although I didn't read as much as I'd planned to today I had a good day in regards to Bout of Books. I did the I Spy Challenge hosted by Paperback Daydreamer. It was fun and actually a little harder than I'd expected but I enjoyed it. I sacrificed some of my reading time to put together my post for the challenge.

That means I've achieved another of my goals for this week. I wanted to participate in at least one of the daily challenges. I also made up for my lack of visiting participant blogs and commenting so I feel like I'm meeting my goals in that area too.


Friday:
How much I read or listened to today: I got about 45 minutes of audiobook time in while out taking care of errands after work. I was busy at lunchtime so I didn't get any reading time till the evening but since I was home by myself I managed about 2.5 hours of reading so I met my Friday goal.
Total number of books completed this week: Still at 2
Thoughts on today’s reading: I'm liking both of my books. The Lost Ones by Ace Atkins is wonderful. I have such a crush on the main character. I'm in the middle of the last of the short stories in The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories by Karin Slaughter. It's the title story and it won some awards this past year. I can see why. It's a good one. I'll finish both of these on Saturday.

I also participated in the Bookish Mad Libs challenge hosted by Shaunie at The Space Between. My Mad Libs story turned out pretty good,


Saturday:
How much I read or listened to today: I had a good reading day. Got almost 2 hours of audiobook time between my morning walk and afternoon errands. I spent a total of about 5 hours reading.
Total number of books completed this week: 4 - finished 2 today
Thoughts on today’s reading: I finished listening to The Unremarkable Heart & Other Stories by Karin Slaughter. I started a new audiobook The Lord of the Silent by Elizabeth Peters. It's fun to be back with Amelia Peabody and her family.

I finished reading The Lost Ones by Ace Atkins. I liked it a lot and am looking forward to reading the latest in the Quinn Colson series soon. I decided I needed a change of pace and picked up Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It's next on my re-read of the series. I read about half of it and will likely finish it on Sunday.

I totally failed and my daily commenting goal so I'll have to make up for that on Sunday.


Sunday:
How much I read or listened to today: I got in about 3 hours of reading today.
Total number of books completed this week: 5 - finished one more today
Thoughts on today’s reading: I finished reading Little Town on the Prairie and started reading Killer Ambition by Marcia Clark. I didn't get any audiobook time in today.


15 comments:

Ellie 8/19/2013 6:36 AM  

Good luck this week! I'm working too, but there's always space to cram a few pages in somewhere! I toppled Stephen King off my pile in favour of the third in James Herbert's 'Rats' trilogy (hey, similar vein, right?) and I might reread Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief ready to move onto The Sea of Monsters next week. I want to have read that one before the new movie comes out!
Happy reading... :)

Ellie @ Musings of a Bookshop Girl
http://musingsofabookshopgirl.blogspot.co.uk/

Aneeqah 8/19/2013 9:12 AM  

Yay, welcome to your first Bout of Books! This is seriously one of my favorite read-a-thons of all time, and so I hope you enjoy it as much. =) What I like about it is that's it's no pressure, you're just challenging yourself to read more. When I was in school during the last BoB, I couldn't spend a bajillion hours reading either, but made better use of my time, and ended up reading 6 books! :D So I'm sure you'll still be able to read a TON even though you're working.

Also, Percy Jackson seems like a great read for a readathon, so I hope you get to that one! <3

-Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

Beth F 8/19/2013 11:53 AM  

FUn!!! I'll have to think about this for next time.

Belle Read 8/19/2013 7:50 PM  

Reading four books as well as your current read is quite a lot when you work full time. Best of luck with your goals. See you around the read-a-thon.
-Dilettantish Reader

Jennifer Hartling 8/20/2013 7:10 AM  

Good luck with your goals! I'm taking it pretty easy...just hoping to read a bit more than usual every day.

SuziQoregon 8/20/2013 7:12 AM  

Ellie: exactly - there's always time for a few pages. Oh good luck with the Herbert trilogy - that sounds daunting. Percy Jackson will be a nice breather when you need something a little lighter or quicker.

Aneeqah: I'm having fun so far. I love that it's rather low key yet still a good excuse to choose reading over other things for a week. I'm already surprised at how much reading I fit in on Monday.

BethF: It is fun. I hope you'll be able to join in the next one.

Belle: Yes four books is a stretch but I'm going to try.

Kristilyn (Reading In Winter) 8/21/2013 8:38 AM  

I love using my ereader. How lucky to have a new Kobo to try out! It's great that they're so handy and less cumbersome than an actual book for when you need to take it places. Of course, I'll ALWAYS love physical books, but it's nice to have other options.

Good luck this week -- you're doing great!

Suey 8/21/2013 9:51 AM  

Wow! You've had a great start!

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books 8/21/2013 2:50 PM  

I talked to you on Twitter today! I saw Fables on your list and thought "Hey wait a minute..." Ha!

Love your blog name, btw. You're doing great - and you've got some great books in your list!

SuziQoregon 8/22/2013 8:03 AM  

Kristilyn: I still seem to buy as many physical books as ever but I do love my ereader for the chunksters and for treadmill reading.

Suey: Thanks - I've been watching your progress and so are you!

Mandi Kaye: Yay - glad you stopped by. I plan on getting some blog visiting and commenting time in tonight. Thanks for coming by.

Stephanie @ Once Upon A Chapter 8/22/2013 1:24 PM  

Yay! Welcome to the Bout of Books family! I hope you're enjoying the read-a-thon. Good luck with your goals!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) 8/22/2013 6:45 PM  

I didn't get much reading done today, but that's ok, any reading is better than no reading at all. Happy Bout of Books!

SuziQoregon 8/23/2013 7:54 AM  

Stephanie: Thanks for stopping by - hope you're having a good reading week!

Kim: I didn't get much done yesterday either but as long as you're reading at all you're succeeding at this. Have fun!

alibrarianslibrary 8/25/2013 2:03 PM  

What a great week you have had! I have spent the week re-reading Chelsea Cain's series so that I can read Let Me Go. I am on book 4 right now!
Hope you finish strong! =)

SuziQoregon 9/17/2013 9:01 PM  

alibrarianslibrary - Thanks - I did finish well.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP