THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update August 18, 2013

>> Sunday, August 18, 2013

Weekend Update

Since my last update:
It wasn’t a week with a lot of reading time for me but I enjoyed what I did find time to read.

I ended up starting She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel. I’d read her earlier memoir A Girl Named Zippy years ago and really enjoyed it and this sequel had been on my TBR list for a long time. It was the What’s in a Name Challenge that finally got me to check it out from the library. One of the categories for that challenge this year is a book with Up or Down in the title.

I also started a new graphic novel. I’m reading Fables Vol. 6: The Mean Seasons. It’s good to get a bit of background history of Bigby Wolf and the other ongoing storylines are reaching some interesting turning points.

On audio I finished listening to Miss Julia Renews Her Vows by Ann B. Ross which is narrated by Cynthia Darlow. It’s been a while since I listened to a Miss Julia book and it was a fun return to the antics of some familiar and enjoyable characters.

My new audiobook is a change of pace. It’s The Unremarkable Heart and Other stories by Karin Slaughter. It’s a collection of short stories by one of my favorite mystery/suspense writers. The narrator is Shannon Cochran and is a new to me narrator. I’ve only finished the first of the short stories so far but it was good.


Links I Like:
I’m repeating last week’s link to The Bout of Books because it kicks off tomorrow. Well technically it kicks of at 12:01am tonight but I hope to be sleeping at that time. I’ve been gearing up for this and making sure I have a variety of books in a variety of formats. I’ll have a more official post up tomorrow about my goals and possible reading list.

  • Bout of Books – This is a low key no stress weeklong readathon. It’s my first time to participate in this event and I’m looking forward to it. There are lots of challenges, chats and giveaways planned for the week. I won’t be participating in all of them but I’m leaving it flexible and mostly looking forward to a week of choosing to read instead of doing other things. Check it out – it’s not too late to join in.

Other than books and reading:

Yesterday was the annual Portland Adult Soapbox Derby. We attended this event for the first time last year and had such a great time that we knew we’d be going back again this year.




Some of the entries are built for speed.



Others are built just to be fun.



This person is simply insane.



The Bluth Stair Car was one of my favorites.



The Whac-a-Mole team had a lot of fun and a great car.


The back end of their car is the perfect way to end this.




Hope you’re having a great weekend!

3 comments:

Bryan G. Robinson 8/18/2013 7:49 AM  

I want to get back to Fables someday, but unfortunately our library doesn't have them and I can't find them online anywhere to borrow. Did I mention that I'm cheap? Oh, yeah, that too. :) Some day, I'll break down and buy a few to get back beyond the one prequel I've read.

Thoughts of Joy 8/18/2013 9:41 AM  

This seems like such a fun event; however, I'm waiting to see you and your husband in one of these getups! :)

SuziQoregon 9/17/2013 9:00 PM  

Bryan: Sorry to hear you can't get them through the library. The more I talk to folks the more I'm impressed with my library's graphic novel collection.

Joy: Oh it's just a blast. Can't wait until next year. No we'll never enter - there's some serious engineering that goes into these vehicles.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP