THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

October looks like a Graphic Novel Reading Binge

>> Friday, September 20, 2013

It's beginning to look like October is going to be a bit of a Graphic Novel Reading Binge for me.

Graphic Novels, comics, whatever term you prefer, I've become a fan.

About a year and a half ago I read my first Graphic Novel (which also happened to be my first Manga also). It was The Drops of God and I loved it. These are not the Archie and Veronica comics I grew up with.

Following the advice of some wise friends I have explored a variety of graphic novel series in the past year or so. I've even got The Hubster reading a couple of them with me.

Most of these are definitely not comics for kids. There are adult themes including sex and violence. Fortunately for me comics and graphic novels are extremely popular in Portland and my library has an extensive collection.

These are a few of my favorites and some of what I'll be reading in the next several weeks:

Saga Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan SAGA by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
This is an amazingly beautiful and intricate story that's difficult to categorize. It's a litte science fiction, a little family saga, a little romance, a little action adventure and mostly just fantastic. I've read (and so has The Hubster) the first two trade paperback collections.

I cannot wait for the next collection to be released to continue with this story. I'm going to start getting the individual issues to read on my ipad and then buy the trade paper collection when it's released. I had an e-galley of volume 2 and it was actually quite nice to read on my ipad. I liked being able to zoom in and look a bit closer at the artwork.
Fables #01: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham Fables by Bill Willingham and a variety of artists.
This series is another one that The Hubster is reading and enjoying along with me. The premise is that all of your favorite fairy tale characters have been exiled from their homeland by an adversary and are living among us mundane folk (Mundys) without our realizing it. Yes Prince Charming and all his ex wives (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella). It's truly inventive and fun.

This series is quite extensive with spin-offs and associated print works so it's going to take me a while (I'm only on volume 6).
Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity: The Unwritten #01 by Mike Carey and Peter Gross The Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross
This one is also quite inventive. Tommy Taylor is an adult who is tired of people thinking he's the real life inspiration for his Father's books about a Boy Wizard. Tommy doesn't really have a job and makes his living appearing at comic book and fantasy conventions. It soon turns into an adventure that includes some startling revelations for Tommy and an exploration of the relationship between fiction and reality.

There is a planned crossover between The Unwritten and Fables that makes total sense because they both deal with well known fictional characters reimagined in new ways. There is also a new book that is billed as both a prequel and parallel story with a totally new relaunch set for next year. I'm excited to see where this series will go.
Those are my top three graphic novel series but I'm also reading several others. I'm caught up with SAGA and The Unwritten but I've got volume 6 of Fables out from the library to read soon.

I highly recommend any of these as an introduction to Graphic Novels if you haven't explored it as a format yet.
The Drops of God by Tadashi Agi The Drops of God  by Tadashi Agi is a Manga style story about a competition to earn the right to an amazing wine collection. I need to read volume 3 next
Y: The Last Man by Brian K Vaughan Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan  is post-apocolyptic story about the sole surviving male after a sudden plague kills off all the male mammals on earth. Volume 5 is next for me
Runaways Volume 1: Pride & Joy The Runaways is a new to me series that I'm going to be starting next month along with BethFishReads and Kailana from The Written World. This one is for a younger audience but looks like a lot of fun.
Boxers & Saints #1: Boxers & Saints Boxed Set by Gene Luen Yang Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang is for Young Adult audiences and is about the Boxer Rebellion in China. I don't know much about this period of history and I've heard nothing but praise for these two and I'm among the first on the library waiting list for them.

So be prepared to see a bunch of posts about Graphic Novels from me in the next month or so.

2 comments:

Kailana 9/24/2013 9:00 PM  

hm, with the exception of The Drops of God series which I haven't read... I could have wrote this post!

SuziQoregon 10/23/2013 9:08 PM  

Kailana: Well . . . you ARE my Graphic Novel Mentor ;-)

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP