THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update September 22, 2013

>> Sunday, September 22, 2013

Weekend Update

Since my last update:
I finished my re-read of Salem’s Lot by Stephen King. It’s nearly 40 years later and I was still thoroughly creeped out all over again. It was a book that was definitely still hanging around in my head after I finished so I was cautious about what to pick up next. My perfect palate cleanser book is Cross by James Patterson. I’m unashamed to admit that I do enjoy the occasional James Patterson book. I still read his Alex Cross and Women’s Murder Club series. This was a perfect choice when my brain still had a hangover from Salem’s Lot.

I think this afternoon I’m going to start Mortal Bonds by Michael Sears. It’s the follow up to the very excellent Black Fridays which was accurately described to me as a “Thriller with heart”. I’m looking forward to spending some time with Jason Stafford and his autistic son “the Kid”.

On audio I’m still listening to Lord of the Silent by Elizabeth Peters (narrated by Barbara Rosenblat). I just love the audio editions of the Amelia Peabody series. I don’t think I’d enjoy them nearly as much in print.

Other than books and reading:
Oregon had a bye week this week so we had a week off from football other than to randomly watch games all day yesterday.

I did some Weekend Cooking! I made Specudoodles!! (you kind of have to say it with the exclamation marks),

Specudoodles
Specudoodles!!



Beth Fish’s Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog’s home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

We picked up this jar of Biscoff Speculoos Cookie spread as a giveaway after a race we did earlier this year and then promptly forgot about it being in the pantry.

Last week some of my co-workers were raving about Trader Joe’s version of the spread they call Cookie Butter. Coincidentally I saw a post on The Tasty Kitchen Blog the next day about cookies made using this cookie butter. I’m a big fan of snickerdoodles and the idea of snickerdoodles with this cookie butter added to the dough just sounded too good to pass up. I picked up the ingredients I didn't have and made up a batch of the dough Friday night and let it chill in the fridge overnight.
ready for baking
rolled in sugar and cinnamon - ready for baking

I made the cookies yesterday and I can promise you that I will be making these again. They are so good. The Hubster says “they’re snickerdoodles on steroids” not because they're bigger but because they have a more intense flavor from the cookie butter.
fresh out of the oven
fresh out of the oven

I do like that this is a relatively small batch recipe. Since it’s just the two of us making a gazillion cookies in one batch is just too much This is enough for us to enjoy them and not end up having to waste or freeze half the batch.

The original post by Emily at The Blonde Buckeye includes a printable version of the Specudoodles recipe. Check it out and enjoy!

Favorite photo of the week:
Lastly I want to share my favorite of my Photo A Day photos from this week. Monday’s assignment was “Frame” and honestly I was stumped. I just didn't want to take a photo of a framed something on my wall. I ended up taking an empty black frame out to my front porch and taking a photo of it. Then after playing with it a bit in one of my editing apps I was super happy with how the final photo turned out.



Hope you’re having a great weekend!

3 comments:

Beth F 9/22/2013 10:31 AM  

okay, I'm picking up cookie butter at TJs next week. These look awesome. And I missed your excellent photo this week (we were traveling for a long weekend). Love, love, love that idea!

The Surly Bookseller 9/22/2013 1:25 PM  

I lack a TJ's or anywhere else that has that or any other cookie butter -- what IS it, exactly? Or any ideas for substitutions?

And the picture of the frame is amazing.

SuziQoregon 10/23/2013 9:10 PM  

Beth F: so . . . have you tried them yer?

Surly: Looks like Walgreens might carry the Biscoff brand of this stuff. Good luck!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP