THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Mortal Bonds by Michael Sears

>> Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Mortal Bonds by Michael Sears

Mortal Bonds by Michael Sears

Genre: Suspense
Series: #2 in the Jason Stafford series
Publisher: G.P Putnam’s Sons
Publication Date: 2013
Pages: 343
Source: copy provided by the publisher



The Short Version:
Financial investigatot Jason Stafford deals with his autistic son, his evil ex-wife, and people trying to kill him all at the same time.

Why I Read It:
I loved the first Jason Stafford book because I liked Jason and adored his son. When I had the opportunity to read the second in the series I didn’t have to think about it for more than a nanosecond..

The Book:
From the publisher:

William von Becker ran one of the largest privately held investment banks in North America, until the bottom fell out, and the whole edifice was demonstrated to be a fraud.

After von Becker dies in prison, financial investigator Jason Stafford is hired by his family. There is still a lot of missing money out there, he’s told, and they want Stafford to find it before the Feds do—and certain other parties, some of whom are nowhere near as scrupulous in their methods. Bad things start happening to the people Stafford talks to. Soon bad things are happening to him as well.

Making it worse, his treacherous ex-wife has come to town, ostensibly to visit their young son. Stafford suspects there’s more to it than that, but even he has no idea how much that visit is about to change all their lives—and send him off to the next chapter of his life.
My Thoughts:
I never expected to enjoy something that I have seen described as a ‘financial thriller’ but thanks to Michael Sears I’m beginning to think it might become my favorite sub-genre.

Yes, Jason Stafford is a financial investigator and yes he spent time in prison for some shady trading but he never cheated his clients. His first efforts at redeeming himself in Black Fridays captivated me and his renewing his parental relationship with his young autistic son simply captured my heart and wouldn’t let go.

In this installment of the series Jason is once again on the trail of complex financial misdeeds perpetrated by the instigator of a huge Ponzi scheme. His family has hired Jason to track down some missing funds but he doesn’t wholly trust their motives. That’s smart because it doesn’t take long before people start dying and Jason has to worry about keeping himself and his son alive.

Some of the financial details put me in the “OH , Look! Over there . . . something shiny!!” mode but it didn’t keep me from enjoying the heck out of the story. There’s plenty of suspense and danger but there are also just wonderful moments with Jason and his son. The Kid is a great character and I cannot wait for the next book in the series.


4 stars Rating 4/5

3 comments:

Belle Wong 10/08/2013 11:32 AM  

Sounds like an interesting series. I just realized, I don't think I've ever read a financial thriller before!

Les 10/11/2013 3:59 AM  

A financial thriller isn't something I'd gravitate toward, but your review has piqued my interest! I'll have to take a look today at work.

SuziQoregon 10/30/2013 9:16 PM  

Belle Wong: I really enjoyed both books.

Les: it's a good mix of thriller and really good story about a guy with an autistic son.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP