THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Runaways Vol. 1: Pride & Joy by Brian K. Vaughan

>> Friday, October 11, 2013

The Runaways Vol. 1: Pride& Joy by Brian K. Vaughan

The Runaways Vol. 1: Pride& Joy by Brian K. Vaughan

Genre: Science Fiction, Superheroes (Graphic Novel)
Series: #1 in the Runaways series
Publisher: Marvel
Publication Date: 2004
Pages: 144
Source: Library

The Short Version:
A group of teens find out the secret their parents have been keeping is that they are a group of super villains.

Why I Read It:
One of my graphic novel mentors (Kailana at The Written World) suggested this as a new series for she, Beth Fish Reads and I to try.

The Book:
This volume 1 is a compilation of issues 1-6 of the comic series.

From the publisher:

At some point in their lives, all young people believe their parents are evil…but what if they really are? Meet Alex, Karolina, Gert, Chase, Molly and Nico — whose lives are about to take an unexpected turn. When these six young friends discover their parents are all secretly super-powered villains, the shocked teens find strength in one another. Together, they run away from home and straight into the adventure of their lives — vowing to turn the tables on their evil legacy.
My Thoughts:
I'm beginning to believe that I have a predisposition to like pretty much anything by Brian K. Vaughan. This is the third series of his that I've started and while they are all quite different I really do enjoy them all.

I liked this first volume of this series enough that I've already picked up the next two volumes from the library.

As I expected from a Marvel series this borders on the periphery of the costumed special powers hero world populated by the likes of The Avengers and the X-Men. The series was developed to appeal to a young adult audience and to manga fans. While there are elements of the artwork that are similar to manga and the book is published in a smaller paperback like most of the manga graphic novels on the library shelf it's different than typical manga book I might see on the bookshelf.
I enjoyed the story quite a bit. The kids make a startling discover about their parents and then even more startling discoveries about themselves. There was plenty of action even though the beginning of a series is naturally a lot of introducing characters and setting up the beginnings ot the ongoing story.

I liked all of the kids and particularly how they were protective of the youngest of the group. I liked the moments of humor too. This first volume did a good job of setting up the story yet leaving lots of questions open and as a result I already checked out the next two volumes from the library.

The artwork is a blend of a typical Marvel superhero comic and some elements more common in Japanese style comics. It’s sometimes a bit confusing at first to figure out who is who in the large cast of characters but that didn’t last long once I sorted it out.

It’s a fun series aimed at a young adult audience yet fun for adults too.

4 stars Rating 4/5

3 comments:

Kailana 10/13/2013 6:34 AM  

I am glad we found a new series!! I wish my library had them. Lorrie doesn't really want me to buy any more books until we move... Kind of makes sense... But, I look forward to more!

Beth F 10/14/2013 3:18 AM  

Now that my review is up, I could come read this. My library has only the next two in the series, so I went ahead and put a hold on them. I'll have to buy the others, which I plan to do, one a month. So I'll be reading this series for the better part of a year.

Anyway, I agree with what you've said here. I'm looking forward to seeing how the kids plan to proceed and the road to self-discovery.

SuziQoregon 12/09/2013 9:01 PM  

Kailana: I'm glad too. I'm enjoying it so far. I've become a huge Brian K. Vaughan fan. All of the series I've read by him are so different but all good.

BethF: I've still got the next one out from the library so I'll be reading that one soon. I'm sorry your library doesn't have more of the series. My library has a great GN Collection so I'm lucky.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP