THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update October 20, 2013

>> Sunday, October 20, 2013

Weekend Update

Since my last update:
This was a week in which my opportunities to read came in small doses. This was both frustrating and beneficial

It was frustrating because last week I started The Tilted World by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly and I’m loving it. Tom Franklin’s writing is not something I want to consume in small bits here and there. He’s a writer whose work I want to savor and immerse myself in so my only reading in that book has been the few times I had time to read for more than just a few minutes.

The benefit to having a lot of shorter opportunities to read is that for me that is perfect for reading graphic novels for my October Graphic Novel Reading Binge.

I finished up Homelands (the 6th book in the Fables series) and liked it a lot. There were definitely some crucial moments in that one.

I also read a wonderful two volume set of graphic novels by Gene Luen Yang. Boxers and its companion volume called Saints tell the story of the Boxer Rebellion in China in 1900. As the back of the books say, “Every war has two faces”. Each book is told from the viewpoint of a young person on a different side of the rebellion. Some of the same events are seen from both sides. There’s an element of magical realism in these which is usually not my favorite thing but in this set of book it works quite well. I don’t know a lot about that period of Chinese history but this set targeted to young adults has made me want to learn more.

On audio I’m still listening to The Golden One by Elizabeth Peters. As always. my time with Amelia Peabody and her family is thoroughly enjoyable and a nice mix of adventure and humor. I love Barbara Rosenblat’s narration of this series. Her talents were highlighted earlier this week when I listened to a party scene. She had to switch between male and female characters and a wide variety of accents within a short time frame and I never lost the thread of who was talking.


Other than books and reading:
We have been enjoying some amazingly beautiful weather for October. It’s been sunny and while a bit chilly in the mornings there’s been no need for jackets in the afternoon. Without our usual storms blowing through the trees and leaves have been gorgeous.

I went out yesterday and had fun taking some photos of leaves.
(as always - click on the images to see full size)

yellow maple leaves in the sunmorning sun through red maple leaves



red and green leaves



Maple leaf on evergreen




Can't close without a bit of Abby antics  . . .

Abby on the couch
Shhh . . . don't tell them I'm here. I'm not supposed to be on the couch.



Hope you’re having a great weekend!

2 comments:

Beth F 10/24/2013 4:59 AM  

I always love the Abby shots! I'm taking a short break from Peabody, but will return to her maybe this weekend.

SuziQoregon 12/09/2013 9:11 PM  

BethF: Thanks - Abby is a constant source of amusement for us.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP