THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update October 6, 2013

>> Sunday, October 6, 2013

Weekend Update

Since my last update:
I finished reading Mortal Bonds by Michael Sears. I enjoyed this second in his Jason Stafford series just as much as the first. I know ‘financial thriller’ seems like an odd description but it fits and the book is great. It’s a thriller but with a soft side also due to the parts of the story about Jason and his autistic son.

I haven’t decided for sure on my next print book but it’s most likely going to be The Tilted World by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly.

On audio I finished listening to Lord of the Silent by Elizabeth Peters (narrated by Barbara Rosenblat). I had such a good time with another Amelia Peabody book that as soon as I finished it I immediately began listening to the next book in the series – The Golden One. I rarely binge read a series or author any more but I may just finish out the audios of the Ameila Peabody series back to back.

Before I start another print book I’m taking some time for some graphic novel and comic reading. As I’ve said, October will be a Graphic Novel Reading Binge month for me.

I simply cannot wait for the next trade paperback collection of the Saga series by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. I’ve been getting the individual issues to read on my ipad. I have discovered that I really enjoy reading these on the ipad. The resolution of the screen and the ability to zoom in when I want to is great.

I also started another digital comic series on my ipad. I heard about High Crimes by Christopher Sebela and Ibrahim Moustafa from Chelsea Cain on Twitter. She said ‘if you like thrillers, you’ll love this comic book”. I read the first issue yesterday and I’m looking forward to continuing the series. It starts out near the summit of Mt. Everest and at the end of the first issue introduced an element that is going to make this a very interesting crime story.

I’m not only reading digitally. I started the next book in the Fables series yesterday. Homelands is the sixth book in the series and I’m excited to see what’s next. The last book was a bit of a transitional one in the story and it looks like the action will pick up a bit in this one.

My new print graphic novel series is one I’m reading with BethFishReads and Kailana at The Written World. We’re testing the waters together in another series. This one is also by Brian K. Vaughan. Clearly he is one of my favorite comic writers. The series is from Marvel comics and is called The Runaways. It’s about some teenagers who discover that their parents are evil super villains.


Other than books and reading:
Well, this happened this week.


I was really surprised that it only took a couple of times with tempting her onto the treadmill with her favorite shoestring for that to happen.

A few random phone photos from this week
sunrise October 2, 2013

Sunrise Wednesday was amazing. As I was driving to the park and ride lot I could see it starting to get a little pink and in the few minutes it took me to get to the transit center and out of my car it developed into this which only lasted for a few short minutes. I was glad the timing worked out so I could capture it.

I was challenged the other day to take a series of photos with the theme of “Looking Up”. This one was my favorite.
Looking up

Today The Hubster is running the Portland Marathon. I’m headed out to mile 21 on the course to take his belt that holds his water bottles because at that point he’ll be done with it. It gives me the chance to cheer him on and also getting rid of the belt will make him lighter for the last five miles. I won’t be able to see him finish but I’ll be able to give him some encouragement at a good point on the course.

Hope you’re having a great weekend!


Hope you’re having a great weekend!

5 comments:

Bryan G. Robinson 10/06/2013 7:14 AM  

That photo was my favorite of the week of all the photos I saw this week.

As for graphic novels, I'd like to read more, but our library doesn't have the ones you and others mention, e.g. Fables, and to buy them is too cost prohibitive. I'll have to wait until Christmas, I guess.

Amy 10/06/2013 9:54 AM  

aw you exercised your cat!! cute!

Beth F 10/07/2013 3:35 AM  

I plan to read the GN tonight -- this weekend just got away from me.

Les 10/07/2013 6:12 PM  

I'm quite interested in The Tilted World by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly. I loved Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. Hope this one is just as good.

I should have Rod hold something (chocolate & wine??) in front of the treadmill, so I'll get some exercise. ;)

SuziQoregon 10/30/2013 9:13 PM  

Bryan: Thank you!! Sorry your library doesn't have a lot of graphic novels. I think that the reason mine does is that there are several comic publishers and authors in town.

Amy: isn't that hilarious??

BethF: Yay!

Les: I really liked The Tilted World but I also admit that I'm predisposed to like anything written by Tom Franklin.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP