THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

>> Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Genre: Mystery / Short Stories
Series: #3 in the traditional canon of Sherlock Holmes
Publisher: The Floating Press
Publication Date: 1891-1892 (this edition 2009)
Pages: 243
Source: Purchased

The Short Version:
A collection of 12 short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes as told by his friend Dr. Watson.

Why I Read It:
I started reading the Sherlock Holmes stories and books a couple of years ago and really enjoyed them. I bought this one then and wanted to read it but for a gazillion reasons kept reading something else first. Thanks to the Sherlock Holmes Reading Challenge I had an excuse to put it at the top of the To Be Read list.

The Book:
from the Google ebook edition:

Presenting 12 tales starring the legendary British detective Sherlock Holmes, this 1892 book is Arthur Conan Doyle's first short-story collection. The mystery compilation includes some of Holmes's finest cases with his dutiful sidekick, Doctor Watson, most notably "A Scandal in Bohemia," in which Holmes matches wits with the crafty former lover of a European king. Also featured is "The Adventure of the Red-Headed League," a study in misdirection that unfolds to become a much larger scheme. The stories, initially published in the Strand Magazine, are essential reading for Holmes fans.

My Thoughts:
I knew this would happen. Once I ventured back into the world of Sherlock Holmes I could kick myself for not reading this sooner. This collection of short stories is simply fun.

I enjoy the asides and observations of Watson as much as I enjoy the mysteries themselves. But I forgot how often Holmes can make me chuckle.

“What are you going to do, then?” I asked.

“To smoke,” he answered.” It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won’t speak to me for fifty minutes.”

“Then put on your hat and come. I am going through the City first, and we can have some lunch on the way. I observe that there is a good deal of German music on the programme, which in rather more to my taste than Italian or French. It is introspective, and I want to introspect. Come along!”

“This looks like one of those unwelcome social summonses which call upon a man either to be bored or to lie.”

This collection of stories was originally published in The Strand magazine over a year long period in 1891-1892. They jump around a bit in time and don’t take place chronologically although there are occasional references in the stories to other cases in the collection.

Some are a bit predictable and others took me by surprise. They were all fun and interesting reads. I will definitely not be waiting so long to dive into the next collection of stories - The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.

4 stars Rating 4/5

The Sherlock Holmes Reading Challenge

3 comments:

Tif Sweeney 11/22/2013 7:30 AM  

I really need to get out my Sherlock stories! I have honestly never read them, but I am doing the same challenge and am determined to dive in before the end of the year. It's time I crack open my boxes and find them!!

Mari Reads 12/05/2013 4:22 PM  

I love Watson's observations and his insights into what makes Sherlock tick. Great review. I haven't gotten through this one yet. So many other books to read.

SuziQoregon 12/10/2013 8:44 PM  

Tif: Yes you do! Both The Hubster and I are really enjoying them.

Mari: Thanks so much for hosting this challenge!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP