THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Y: The Last Man Vol. 6: Girl on Girl by Brian K. Vaughan

>> Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Y: The Last Man Vol. 6: Girl on Girl by Brian K. Vaughan

Y: The Last Man Vol. 6: Girl on Girl by Brian K. Vaughan

Series: #6 in the Y: The Last Man series
Publisher: Vertigo Comics
Publication Date: 2005
Pages: 126
Source: Library

The Short Version:
Two years after a sudden plague killed every male mammal except one young man and his pet capuchin monkey, he and his friends are still trying to find out why and stay alive long enough to do so.

Why I Read It:
I’m enjoying this series and have to continue to find out what happens. Besides, I’m pretty much predisposed to like anything Brian K. Vaughan writes.

The Book:
This volume 6 is a compilation of issues 32-36 of the comic series.

From the publisher:

No Man's Land

More than two years after an unexplained plague killed every other male mammal on the planet, the two exceptions - aspiring escape artist Yorick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand - have traveled across the remains of the U.S. with biochemist Dr. Allison Mann and government operative Agent 355 to Dr. Mann's lab in San Francisco, where she managed to finally isolate the source of their immunity.

Unfortunately, that source is within Ampersand's body, which was last seen disappearing under the arm of a mysterious Japanese mercenary. Now, accompanied by 355 and Dr. Mann, the last man on Earth has embarked on a new and even more hazardous journey - following Ampersand's trail across the Pacific, where danger threatens from below as well as above the waves.

My Thoughts:
This series has been either great or just OK for me so far. I’d put this volume in the crazy stuff happens randomly category.

Yorick, Dr. Mann and Agent 355 meet up with yet another tricky situation. They’ve boarded a chip to Japan to chase down the ninja who kidnapped Ampersand but things aren’t going well on their voyage. Pirates, spy missions, Agent 355 and Dr. Mann hooking up and a beautiful pirate captain complete with sword complicate things.

I’m not sure any of the antics in this volume really advance the main story but nevertheless it’s a fun adventure movie episode. Yeah it’s all a little silly but fun which is really the overall tone of this series.

The last issue in this collection catches us with Yorick’s pre-plague girlfriend and what she’s been up to in Australia as well as some of the backstory about how she and Yorick got together before the plague changed everything for the entire world.

The artwork in this series continues to be good but not outstanding. I’m ok with it though because it’s been mostly consistent.

I already have the next volume out from the library and I’m curious to see where the story will go next.

3.5 stars Rating 3.5/5

3 comments:

Tif Sweeney 11/27/2013 6:44 AM  

I've read it! This was a weird volume in the series, but I think it does contain some pertinent information for what is to come if I remember correctly. It's been a little while and I read the Deluxe Editions, so I could be wrong! :)

Kailana 11/29/2013 7:42 PM  

I really really need to get back to this... I need to get back to graphic novels, period!

SuziQoregon 12/10/2013 8:58 PM  

Tif: Yes - a weird volume but clearly a transition for the series.

Kailana: I'm really enjoying the series as a whole. Some of the volumes are just kind of So-So but they are still important to the overall story arc!!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP