THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

What’s In a Name 2014 Challenge

>> Thursday, December 12, 2013

What's in a Name 2014


As usual, this is the only blog related reading challenge I plan to commit to for next year. This has been my favorite challenge since the very first one back in 2008. Since then it’s been passed along to a different host and this year the torch is passed yet again. Beth Fish Reads who has hosted this challenge for several years posted a few weeks ago that she would be unable to continue hosting duties. Much to my relief Charlie from The Worm Hole has taken on the role of host for 2014. I’m so happy that this challenge lives on.

The Challenge is really pretty simple and you don’t have to list out specific books ahead of time. Sometimes I’ve ‘accidentally’ completed a category and only realized later that a book title qualified. It’s simply a matter of reading a book with something in the title that fits each of 5 categories.

Here’s how it works:

The challenge runs from January to December. During this time you choose a book to read from each of the following categories (examples of books you could choose are in brackets):
  • A reference to time (Eleven Minutes, Before Ever After)
  • A position of royalty (The People’s Queen, The Last Empress, The Curse Of The Pharaoh)
  • A number written in letters (The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, A Tale Of Two Cities)
  • A forename or names (Rebecca, Eleanor & Park, The Unfinished Work Of Elizabeth D.)
  • A type or element of weather (Gone With The Wind, Red Earth Pouring Rain)

Extra information
  • Books can be any format (print, audio, ebook).
  • It’s preferred that the books don’t overlap with other challenges, but not a requirement at all.
  • Books cannot overlap categories (for instance my first example, Eleven Minutes, could be used for category 1 or 3 but not both).
  • Creativity for matching the categories is not only allowed, it’s encouraged!
  • You don’t have to make your list of books beforehand, you can choose them as you go.
  • You don’t have to read your chosen books in any particular order.

Once again I immediately started scouring my TBR list, shelves and library wishlists for titles that would work for these categories. I was able to pretty quickly identify options for most of the categories that are already on my shelf or TBR list. There always seems to be one category every year that ends up being harder for some reason. I cannot believe that I don’t have any books on my shelf or TBR list that fit the Weather category. That is actually kind of surprising to me. I’m not worried about it though. At some point before the end of 2014 I’ll find a book that will work.

I know you’re looking at the categories and thinking of what books you have that might fit. Admit it. You are, aren’t you? Why don’t you get yourself over to the Sign Up post at Charlie’s blog and join the fun.

One very important note that’s not included in the above information is that you do not have to have a blog to participate. You can use a Tumblr account, your Facebook page or just post in the comments on the category posts when Charlie has them up on her blog in January.

Here are the books I have initially listed as possibilities for each category. I may read something different but these are the ones I came up with fairly quickly: All of these are books that I've have for a long time but have been languishing on the shelf. I want to read them but for a million reasons have just not pulled them off the shelf yet.

A reference to time – Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

A position of royalty – The Princess Bride.

A number written in letters – A Thousand Splendid Suns

A forename or names – Serena

A type or element of weather – I have no ideas at this point for this category but something will come along


Oh come on – click on over to The Worm Hole and join the fun.

4 comments:

Kailana 12/12/2013 6:43 PM  

I really should do this challenge... I have a couple times, but I can't remember if I have ever finished it! I am bad with lists and things... haha. The categories look good! (Alternatively for a reference to time I am reading MIDNIGHT NEVER COME by Marie Brennan right now and it is awesome... Just saying!)

SuziQoregon 12/12/2013 8:46 PM  

Kailana: OH you should join in!! And thanks for another possibility for that category.

Charlie (The Worm Hole) 12/16/2013 8:51 AM  

I've only just found a book for the weather category myself (I'm trying not to use the examples I gave; decided on Cloud Atlas). It is quite difficult, more than I first thought it would be, but then I suppose it makes it more of a challenge. The Princess Bride is a good pick, and pretty much a classic to boot :) Glad you're joining, Suzi!

SuziQoregon 12/17/2013 8:52 PM  

Charlie: I'm looking forward to reading Princess Bride. It's one of my all time favorite movies and The Hubster just finished reading it.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP