THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

A Conspiracy of Faith by Jussi Adler-Olsen

>> Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Conspiracy of faith by Jussi Adler-OlsenREdemption by Jussi Adler-Olsen

A Conspiracy of Faith by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Genre: Crime Fiction / Mystery
Series: #3 in the Department Q series
Publisher: Dutton
Publication Date: 2013 (Originally published 2009)
Pages: 632
Source: e-galley provided by publisher. I also received a copy of the UK Edition titled Disgrace which is why I posted both covers.


The Short Version:
Years after it was was written in blood, a message in a bottle leads the Department Q team in search of the truth.

Why I Read It:
I loved the first book in the series and while I thought the second wandered a bit I’ve been looking forward to continuing to read more.

The Book:
From the Publisher:

Detective Carl Mørck holds in his hands a bottle that contains old and decayed message, written in blood. It is a cry for help from two young brothers, tied and bound in a boathouse by the sea. Could it be real? Who are these boys, and why weren’t they reported missing? Could they possibly still be alive?

Carl’s investigation will force him to cross paths with a woman stuck in a desperate marriage- her husband refuses to tell her where he goes, what he does, how long he will be away. For days on end she waits, and when he returns she must endure his wants, his moods, his threats. But enough is enough. She will find out the truth, no matter the cost to her husband—or to herself.

Carl and his colleagues Assad and Rose must use all of their resources to uncover the horrifying truth.

My Thoughts:
Oh Carl and the rest of his team are back and I love them. Carl is troubled, surly and has a personal life that is even more of a mess than life at work. Assad is still hilarious and mysterious. Assad has secrets and this time we got a couple of more glimpses into his life and possibly his past but they were fleeting. There’s a big reveal coming about Assad. I just know it. Rose was introduced in the last book and I was hoping she’d be back. She definitely is and her story becomes quite interesting in this book. Assad and Rose both annoy the heck out of Carl but together the three of them are like a dysfunctional family but a functional detective team.

The mystery of the message in the bottle is a tough one for the team. Readers quickly know ‘whodunnit’ but the why and how as well as the ‘will they catch the perpetrator’ is what is played out piece by piece.

I was pleased that after a slight sophomore slump with the second book that the series is back to being as good as I thought it was with the first book.

I’m also glad that the series is being translated and released in the UK and US at a faster pace. The fourth book is already out and I plan to read it soon.

I highly recommend this series.

4.5 stars Rating 4.5/5

6 comments:

Kailana 1/16/2014 8:54 AM  

Another series for me to one day check out...

SuziQoregon 1/21/2014 9:03 PM  

Surly: I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

Kailana: Oh definitely!!!

Les 1/26/2014 8:04 PM  

I have the first (on audio) on request thru my library. Can't wait!

SuziQoregon 1/28/2014 9:24 PM  

Les: yay - who narrates the audio? I have trouble listening to the harder crime stories. It's easier for me to skim over the icky stuff if I'm reading instead of listening.

Les 1/30/2014 6:11 PM  

Graeme Malcolm is the reader. I've never heard of him, so I'm hopeful he does a decent job. I'm currently listening to the Silent Wife and I'm not thrilled with the reader (Karen White). She's not terrible (or I would've quit), but she's not one of my favorites.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP