THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Bout of Books 9.0 Goals and Updates

>> Monday, January 6, 2014

I am participating in my second Bout of Books this week. I did my first one in August and have had this week marked on my calendar ever since.

Bout of Books

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 6th and runs through Sunday, January 12th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 9.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
My goals for the week and all my updates will be on this post. I’ll also be updating via twitter.
___________________________________________________________________

Time Devoted to Reading
I am working full time this week so I can’t possibly spend a gazillion hours reading. I'm using the same approach I did in August for getting extra reading time in because it worked pretty well. I do plan to limit some of what is normally my time spent on social media or wandering aimlessly online and replace those activities with more reading time.

I also plan to keep my iPod with my audiobook with me as much as possible. I typically only listen when I’m in the car by myself or when I’m out walking but I keeping my iPod handy might give me some extra listening time.

Usually weekends are not a big reading time for me. That’s when The Hubster and I tend to do things together whether it’s chores and errands or out doing fun stuff. This upcoming Sunday however he'll be gone so I'll have that day all to myself. It will be nice to finish out the week with a day of mostly reading. Taking all of that into consideration these are my goals for time devoted to reading this week:
  • 2 hours a day total reading/listening time Monday - Thursday
  • 3 hours Friday
  • Saturday and Sunday as much as I feel like
___________________________________________________________________

My Goals:
  • Read 4 books after I finish my current book (typically 2 books a week is a good week for me)
  • Participate in at least one Bout of Books Tweet Chat
  • Participate in one Bout of Books challenge
  • Spend some time each day visiting other participants blogs
  • Have fun
___________________________________________________________________

Reading List (which may end up having no resemblance at all to the books I end up actually reading):
I can’t possibly read all of these and it’s highly likely that I’ll pick up something that’s not even on the list. There’s a reason this blog is named Whimpulsive.

Anyway - here’s what’s on my radar for reading soon and that includes this week.
  • Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh (have been meaning to get to this one for weeks)
  • The Gates by John Connolly (I've had it out from the library for a while and need to get to it)
  • Let Me Go by Chelsea Cain (Local author - the latest release in a series I caught up with last year)
  • Gods of Gotham by Lindsay Frye (This was on my goals post last time and I still haven't started it)
  • Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (it's been on my shelf since I finished the first in the series)
I've got several graphic novels out from the library and they're great for a change of pace or a break from other books
  • Y: The Last Man Vol. 7: Paper Dolls by Brian K. Vaughan 
  • 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham (next up for me in the Fables series)
  • Jack of Fables: The Great Escape by Bill Willingham (time for me to start this spin-off from Fables)
  • 100 Bullets Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call (a new to me series I found out about via Crimespree Magazine)
  • Runaways Volumes 4 and 5: True Believers and Escape to New York (next up in a series about some teens with special powers)
I also plan to start a re-read of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I've read it several times but seeing photos and information about the upcoming TV series has me itching to read it again so it will be my first chunkster of 2014.
On Audio I'm on the first CD of The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith so I doubt I'll finish that this week but if I do I've got plenty more on the iPod

All of these are in the house and available and I've got a good mix of audio, print, ebooks, genres and types of book so I can change up the pace or mood when it strikes.
___________________________________________________________________

Updates:

Monday:
  • How much I read or listened to today: 3 hours 15 min of reading time and 20 min of audiobook time
  • Total number of books completed this week: 1
  • Thoughts on today’s reading: I finished the last 125 pages of Bellman & Black which I ended up feeling extremely "meh" about. For a total change of pace I picked up a graphic novel. Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls is next up in that series for me and I got through about 30 pages of that before I fell asleep.
  • Other Bout of Books related stuff: I did the Mad Libs Challenge and giggled at my story that ended up being about a Mythic Lost Couch. Check out the challenge and entries Cheap Thrills.I didn't get around to visiting participants blogs because I really wanted to finish Bellman & Black so I could move on. Blog visiting is on today's agenda

Tuesday:
  • How much I read or listened to today: 2 hours and 20 minutes of reading time but no audiobook time
  • Total number of books completed this week: 2
  • Thoughts on today’s reading: I finished Y: The Last Man Vol. 7: Paper Dolls. I'm down to three to go in this graphic novel series and curious about what will happen next. I started The Gates by John Connolly and I'm loving it. I also started 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham which is the next in the Fables series for me.
  • Other Bout of Books related stuff: I did another of the daily challenges. Sarah at Sarah Says Read asked folks about thier strategies for getting extra reading time in during Bout of Books. There's some great tips in the comments. I also managed to get around to visit a few participants blogs.


Wednesday:
  • How much I read or listened to today: I managed about an hour and a half of reading time and a half hour of audiobook time so met my goal
  • Total number of books completed this week: 2
  • Thoughts on today’s reading:I continued with all three of my books. I'm enjoying listening to Lisette Lecat narrating The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith. I don't think I'd enjoy that series nearly as much in print but I love listening to her. The Gates by John Connolly is wonderful. It's a fun adventure story and I keep giggling. 1001 Nights of Snowfall is a wonderful entry in the Fables series. The background and origin stories of some now favorite characters is fascinating to read.
  • Other Bout of Books related stuff: I did manage to lurk for part of the twitter chat yesterday but I was on my phone so participating wan't really an option.I also managed to get around to visit a few participants blogs.


Thursday:
  • How much I read or listened to today: 2 hours and 25 minutes of reading time but no audiobook time
  • Total number of books completed this week: 3
  • Thoughts on today’s reading:I finished 1001 Nights of Snowfall. I really enjoyed this entry in the Fables series. I continued with my other two books. I'm really enjoying both The Gates and The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon. I think I'm going to finish The Gates before I start something else.
  • Other Bout of Books related stuff: I did a bit of blog visiting yesterday and plan to do more of that tonight


Friday:
  • How much I read or listened to today: 90 minutes of reading time and 45 minutes of audiobook time. Didn't make my 3 hour goal for Friday but no big deal. Should get plenty of time over the weekend
  • Total number of books completed this week: 3
  • Thoughts on today’s reading:Just continuing with my current books. Print book is The Gates which I should be able to finish today. I don't think I'll get any audiobook time today but I'll get back to The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon tomorrow.
  • Other Bout of Books related stuff: I did a bit of blog visiting yesterday and plan to do more of that todayt


Saturday:
  • How much I read or listened to today: I managed to get a total of 3.5 hours of reading in today. No audiobook time though
  • Total number of books completed this week: 4
  • Thoughts on today’s reading: I finished The Gates by John Connolly and liked it a lot. I started Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh. It's very different but I'm intrigued. I didn't get any audiobook time but I should have some time to listen to a bit of The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon today
  • Other Bout of Books related stuff: I did a bit of blog visiting yesterday and plan to do more of that todayt


Sunday:
  • How much I read or listened to today: I managed to get a total of 3 hours of reading in today. My planned audiobook time didn't happen because I got involved in watching football instead
  • Total number of books completed this week: 4
  • Thoughts on today’s reading: I read a good chunk of Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh. It's a very different type of book. After I read the first 20 pages and had a feel for what was going on I went back and started over from the beginning. It's interesting but I'm annoyed that the author chose to not use quotation marks. That's something that bugs me.
  • Other Bout of Books related stuff: I did a bit of blog visiting and found some new blogs that I'll be watching. I like this part of Bout of Books as much as the reading.

4 comments:

Kailana 1/06/2014 8:57 AM  

Yesh, you are so organized! Good luck. :)

Kristen 1/06/2014 1:45 PM  

You are reading some of my favorite graphic novel series, although I am looking up 100 bullets right now. I love when you get a day to yourself! Enjoy the readathon.

My Goals

Britney Gulbrandsen 1/09/2014 1:53 PM  

Good idea to give yourself a mix of formats and genres so you can pick whatever you're in the mood for. I often put up a list and deviate from it because by the time I start, I'm no longer feeling my original list!

SuziQoregon 1/10/2014 7:48 AM  

Kailana - thanks! It's going great so far.

Kristen - 100 Bullets is one I just heard about recently. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Britney: I've discovered that having a mix of formats and genres is good - particularly on the weekends when I'm doing longer stretches of trying to read.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP