THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update – Back to the Real World

>> Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weekend Update

Holidays and vacation are over and the first full week back to work was a week that I’m pretty sure had at least two extra days in it and they were both Mondays. The back to work and busy time of the year for my department both hit with a bang this week.

Luckily I've been participating in Bout of Books this week so I was pretty focused on making myself take some reading time when I got home from work. I should really do that more often. It really does help me to turn off my day and relax. Obviously it’s not always possible but I think it’s something I need to put on my To Do list rather than think of it as something that happens after my To Do list.

Anyway – I had a great reading week. I finished Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield (finally). Because that one was something that took me longer to read than I expected I wanted to follow it up with something very different. I read a couple of the graphic novels I've got out from the library. I finished Y: The Last Man Vol. 7: Paper Dolls by Brian K. Vaughan. I’m down to three to go to finish out this series and I’m enjoying it a lot. I’m curious to see how it will all wrap up.

I also read 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham. This entry in the Fables series is wonderful. It goes back to the history of the Fables characters and includes several origin stories that were great to read. Some were fun, others very sad but it was all great background.

I read The Gates by John Connolly and giggled my way through it. It may seem odd to be giggling when reading a story about the Gates of Hell opening and demonic hordes trying to destroy the world as we know it but it’s FUN!. The main character is a wonderful 11 year old and my favorite character was a not so demonic demon named Nurd. The footnotes and asides make this a great read. I need to check it out from the library again soon so The Hubster can read it and we can move on to the sequels together.

I just started Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh last night. It's different and I'm intrigued.

On audio I’m listening to The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith. I love Lisette Lecat's narration of this series. Once I’m finished with that my plan is to finish out the last two books in the Amelia Peabody series.

This weeks Random Photos:

Abby on the stairs
Abby plots to kill me
Forget R.O.U.S.es, Lightning Sand, and Flame Bursts. The real terror of the stairwell is the one that dares you to try to get upstairs without spilling your coffee at 5:15 am. She was in “trying to kill me” mode the other morning. I should really get around to reading both The Princess Bride and How to Tell Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You but not both at the same time.

A timely break in the weather gave me a chance for a walk after work and an interesting sunset.
Sunset

These guys seem to have a favorite game of “how fast can we empty this feeder after she fills it?”

Busy time at the bird feeder


Hope you’re having a great weekend!

4 comments:

Bryan G. Robinson 1/12/2014 10:21 AM  

Whoa. You're rocking the reading this week, lady. Congratulations...and it looks like some good stuff there too. I have the first issue of Saga on my tablet and want to get the rest. I think you talked about it before and it sounded interesting.

Kailana 1/12/2014 3:59 PM  

haha. My mother has a sign on her stairs saying Watch out for Cat. Her stupid cat sleeps on the very top stair and many times he has been stepped on. When I stayed at her house before we moved I was walking down the stairs with a basket full of clothes, forgot about the cat, and it was really bad. I managed to off-set myself and sit down, but the cat hated me for the rest of the time we were there... At least our stairs are white, but said cat is coming to stay with us for 6 weeks.

Charlie (The Worm Hole) 1/13/2014 7:47 AM  

And then there's walking down and they've decided to lay close to the inside, so you don't see them until the last minute...

You said B&B took a while - is it a good book overall?

SuziQoregon 1/14/2014 9:17 PM  

Bryan: I had a GREAT reading week! I'n SO glad you have Saga! Looking forward to hearing what you think! I gave up waiting for the trade paperbacks and have subscribed to the individual issues to read on my tablet. Don't want to wait so long to find out what happens next.

Kailana: I NEED one of those signs!

Charlie: EXACTLY!!! As to B&B - I ended up feeling very "meh" about it. Will be a hard review to write.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP