THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update: Kicking off the New Year

>> Sunday, January 5, 2014

Weekend Update

I'm not one for a lot of resolutions or goals. Most of the goals I wrote about here last year ended up not happening. Nevertheless, it's a time of year that feels like a fresh start and a good time to change things up a bit. Something about l those new spreadsheets, new groups and threads on LibraryThing, and a new document for drafting of posts. It's hard to not feel inspired and excited.

I am going to try a few new things and I figure that some will stick and some will be abandoned.

First off will be a less structured format for weekend update. I’ll still be talking about what I’m reading and what we’re doing and there will always be photos but the posts won’t necessarily be the same format every week.

I’m going to try something to help me read some of those books that end up on my shelf or in my ebook library and then remain there unread while I pick up something new and shiny from the bookstore or library. I won’t be planning specific books but I want to try to mix it up a bit by where I’m getting the next book I read.

I've set up a list of categories that is a start and likely to change but I've got to start somewhere.

  • Review book
  • Library book
  • Book from my bookshelf
  • Book from my ebook library
  • Graphic Novel
  • Section of a Chunkster
I want to use these categories in rotation to make sure I get those books from the bookshelves upstairs and the unseen ebooks on my ereader and also tackle some of the Chunksters I want to read. I may end up putting that graphic novel category in the rotation more than once because they tend to be short and a nice break between longer books. I won’t get through all the categories every month and I may change up the rotation here and there but mostly I hope this will help me read the books I already have as well as leave room for something new that catches my eye.

Speaking of those new ones, I’m also going to try keeping track of books I acquire this year. This is partly because I'm curious about how many I get during a year and partly as a way to quickly note in google doc the information I need when I add the book to my LibraryThing data. One of the groups I joined at LibraryThing is the ROOT - Read Our Own Tomes group and I need to make sure that books I acquire this year don't get counted for that. I'm only counting books that were already on my shelf, in my iTunes or in my ebook library before December 31, 2013 for that group.

OK – enough talk for this week. On to what I’ve been doing the past couple of weeks

The holiday weeks were busy and fun and we had a mostly relaxing holiday. I was on vacation this past week and watched a lot of football as well as getting out for a bit of local sightseeing.

We went to the International Exhibition of Sherlock Holmes at our local science museum. What a fun exhibit. It was a bit history about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his inspirations as well as information about London at the time. It also included a mock up of Holmes flat that was fun to see.
Detective's Notebook - International Exhibition of Sherlock Holmes
Our Detective's Notebook
The interactive part let us play detective and solve a mystery. It was a lot of fun. I think it’s headed to Cleveland next but it this exhibit ever ends up near where you live I highly recommend a visit.

Here are a few random phone photos since my last update:

Straight No Chaser marquee
We went to the Straight No Chaser Concert last week and it was just a whole lot of fun. If you ever get the chance to see these guys in person, do it.

St.John's Bridge
St. John's Bridge
No I wasn't driving when I took this. The Hubster was driving, I was passengering. It's the only way to get this shot of my favorite bridge in Portland.


A foggy morning in town cleared up just enough as I headed out the historic highway to the Columbia River Gorge and it ended up being a beautiful day.
Columbia River Gorge
Columbia River Gorge
Multnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls
A day spent stopping and viewpoints and waterfalls reminded me that I'm lucky to live here.


Hope you’re having a great weekend!

8 comments:

Kailana 1/05/2014 10:31 AM  

So, I read under 10 graphic novels in 2013. I am behind in Saga, The Unwritten, Fairest, and haven't read the Fables Encyclopaedia. I am kind of in denial that is me because one thing I always kept up was graphic novels. :( So, 2014 is my year of graphic novels. The plan is to be caught up and not have any unread ones by the end of the year. Plus, I am also rereading Fables... I am excited!!

Anita LeBeau 1/05/2014 11:37 AM  

I've never read a graphic novel, and I'm afraid to ad more in my mix of books. Ha ha. I do like your rotation ideas. I plan to similarly read more from my books or e reader. I rarely use the library...perhaps I should. I tend to get caught up in galleys. And the bright shiny and new,captures my eye.
Looking forward to 2014!!

Bryan G. Robinson 1/05/2014 12:02 PM  

I like non structure, so bring it on. :) I try to be a little more non-structured in my Sunday posts too from time to time, instead of x, y and z, I'll go to the letter r and really fake them out. :) That said, about non-structure, you sure like the organization when it comes to keeping track, don't you? I just keep one list and that's all, but all of us have different things that work (and don't work).

Florinda Pendley Vasquez 1/05/2014 2:16 PM  

I'm thinking of doing a "reading rotation" somewhat like what you're talking about here, although mine may be just as likely to happen concurrently as sequentially, which I'm not sure really makes it a "rotation." Happy 2014!

SuziQoregon 1/05/2014 9:18 PM  

Kailana: I love the idea of you making 2014 the year of Graphic Novels. I know that once I get caught up with Fables that I'll want to start over from the beginning.

Anita: Oh I'm a heavy library user. Typically about half the books I read are library books. It's partly because I'm lucky enough to have two excellent library systems I can use in the county I live in and in the county where I work.

Bryan: What can I say? I'm a data analyst - it's what I do. I track and organize and you plan blogging and social media strategies. To each his (or her) own ;-P

Florinda: I'm sure my 'rotation' will have overlap but either way choosing from all the sources is a good thing.

Charlie (The Worm Hole) 1/06/2014 10:37 AM  

Happy new year, Suzi! Regarding getting through books you've had for ages, if you've time you could join Long-Awaited Reads this month? It's great for pushing you to get through your list. Glad you had a good holiday and your photos are great, especially the bridge, considering you were moving the composition is really good.

Les 1/12/2014 5:59 PM  

Gorgeous photos. Yes, you're lucky to live in Oregon. Maybe we'll be so lucky in a few more years...

I love Straight No Chaser, especially their Christmas albums. How fun to see them live!

SuziQoregon 1/14/2014 9:06 PM  

Charlie: Thank you! I did Long Awaited Reads year but I'm kind of avoiding challenges this year (except for What's In A Name) so I can reduce any obligations I feel about reading choices.

Les: Thanks! Oh would love it if you moved to Oregon!! Definitely see Straight No Chaser if you ever get the chance.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP