THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Y: The Last Man Vol 7: Paper Dolls by Brian K. Vaughan

>> Friday, January 17, 2014

Y: The Last Man Vol 7: Paper Dolls by Brian K. Vaughan

Y: The Last Man Vol 7: Paper Dolls by Brian K. Vaughan

Genre: Science Fiction (Graphic Novel)
Series: #7 in the Y: The Last Man series
Publisher: Vertigo Comics
Publication Date: 2006
Pages: 143
Source: Library

The Short Version:
The last man to survive a sudden plague that killed all the male mammals on Earth is still trying to find out why.

Why I Read It:
I’m enjoying this series and have to continue to find out what happens. Besides, I’m pretty much predisposed to like anything Brian K. Vaughan writes.

The Book:
This volume 7 is a compilation of issues 37-42 of the comic series.

From the publisher:

Man Overboard

Yorick Brown, the last man on Earth, has finally reached the country where his fiancée Beth has been stranded since the male-killing plague struck more than three years ago. Unfortunately, the visit is just a stopover - the trail that has led Yorick and his companions (government operative Agent 355 and biochemist Dr. Allison Mann) to the shores of Australia continues on to Japan, where Yorick's pet monkey Ampersand - the only other male mammal to survive the plague, and the possible key to its cure - has been taken.

Before pursuing Ampersand north, however, Yorick has a brief window of time to find Beth in the remains of Sydney. But his search also provides a chance at the story of a lifetime for one muckraking journalist - a story whose consequences may be graver than anyone could guess.

My Thoughts:
This series has been either great or just OK for me so far. For me, this volume had it’s good points and bad points. Finally Yorick gets to Australia and while only a stopover on their way to Japan he’s determined to find Beth. Of course since it’s Yorick it doesn’t go well.

There are multiple story lines that are touched on in this volume and with only 3 left I expect them to start spiraling together but it does make up for some choppiness in the flow.

I did like the sections that went into the background stories of both Agent 355 and Ampersand the monkey. It was good to learn more about their histories.

Dr. Mann and her story in this one was where I was surprised. I’m curious to see where the next volume will take this.

There were also some surprises involving Yorick’s sister and characters from previous volumes.

I’m expecting this pace to pick up and continue to spiral toward the conclusion over the next three volumes.

I may have to binge read the last three volumes of this series

3.5 stars Rating 3.5/5

5 comments:

Beth F 1/20/2014 4:18 AM  

I'd love to give this one a try but I'm in the middle of a few GN series right now and think I should wait until I catch up before I pick up something new.

Kailana 1/20/2014 11:28 AM  

You know, considering I splurged and bought all of these I really should READ them. I really fell off the graphic novel bandwagon last year. It's terrible.

Kailana 1/20/2014 11:28 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tif Sweeney 1/21/2014 7:25 AM  

I really want you to binge read these! I want to chat about the ending with you!!!

SuziQoregon 1/21/2014 9:07 PM  

Beth F: I totally understand. I can only handle so many GN series at a time.

Kailana: Yes you should. Some are better than others but overall it's an interesting series.

Tif: I'm tempted - I'll definitely let you know when I finish the series so we can chat.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP