THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith

>> Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith

The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith

Genre: Fiction
Series: #14 in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series
Publisher: Recorded Books
Publication Date: 2013
Length: 9 hours, 45 minutes
Read by: Lisette Lecat
Source: Copy provided by the publisher through LibraryThing Early Reviewers

The Short Version:
Precious Ramotswe works a couple of cases and at the same time her assistant is facing major changes in her life and perhaps her career.

Why I Read It:
I have been and continue to be a fan of the audio versions of this series and I try to keep current.

The Book:
From the publisher:
Modern ideas get tangled up with traditional ones in the latest intriguing installment in the beloved, best-selling No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.

Precious Ramotswe has taken on two puzzling cases. First she is approached by the lawyer Mma Sheba, who is the executor of a deceased farmer's estate. Mma Sheba has a feeling that the young man who has stepped forward may be falsely impersonating the farmer's nephew in order to claim his inheritance. Mma Ramotswe agrees to visit the farm and find out what she can about the self-professed nephew. Then the proprietor of the Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon comes to Mma Ramotswe for advice. The opening of her new salon has been shadowed by misfortune. Not only has she received a bad omen in the mail, but rumors are swirling that the salon is using dangerous products that burn people's skin. Could someone be trying to put the salon out of business?

Meanwhile, at the office, Mma Ramotswe has noticed something different about Grace Makutsi lately. Though Mma Makutsi has mentioned nothing, it has become clear that she is pregnant . . . But in Botswana—a land where family has always been held above all else—this may be cause for controversy as well as celebration.

My Thoughts:
Since I'm still listening to this series at number 14 I obviously enjoy it.

This is one of those series that I doubt I'd enjoy nearly as much in print because for me it's the narration of Lisette Lecat that makes the series a delight for me to listen to. They're light on the mystery and heavier on observations of life and a love for the country of Botswana.

One of the reasons I like listening to these is that I would be at a loss as to how to pronounce many of the places and names. Beyond that though is the narrator's talent at giving the characters their own voices and personalities. Lisette Lecat is the reason I continue to listen to this series.

In this one the mysteries are only a part of the story. The bigger storyline is Grace Makutsi’s pregnancy and what this will mean for both the #1 Ladies Detective Agency and the relationship between Precious and Grace. I loved the way this one played out. I absolutely giggled at the reaction of Charlie from the garage to Grace’s baby.

The books themselves are OK but the narration of Lisette Lecat makes them a delight.

3 stars Rating 3/5 for the book

4 stars Rating 4/5 for the narration



SoundBytes is a weekly roundup of audio book reviews hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books.

3 comments:

Kailana 2/11/2014 11:01 AM  

I tried reading these and wasn't all that interested. So, I got book 1 on audio and now I just need to find time for it.

Beth F 2/13/2014 7:44 AM  

This series didn't click for me in print or in audio. I know I'm in the minority.

SuziQoregon 2/16/2014 8:30 PM  

Kailana: Hope you like the audio

BethF: see - it's a good thing we aren't all required to like the same things.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP