THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Expats by Chris Pavone

>> Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Expats by Chris Pavone

The Expats by Chris Pavone

Genre: Suspense
Publisher: Crown Publishers
Publication Date: 2012
Pages: 326
Source: Copy provided by the publisher

The Short Version:
When Kate moves to Luxembourg because of her husband’s job the life of a Expat is a big change for her and soon she starts realizing that nothing is as it seems.

Why I Read It:
The first time I heard something about this book on Twitter, I was intrigued and knew I wanted to read it.I really didn’t know much about this book other than the fact that a lot of people I trust thought it was pretty darn good.

The Book:
From the inside cover flap:From the Publisher:

Can We Ever Escape Our Secrets?

Kate Moore is a working mother, struggling to make ends meet, to raise children, to keep a spark in her marriage . . . and to maintain an increasingly unbearable life-defining secret. So when her husband is offered a lucrative job in Luxembourg, she jumps at the chance to leave behind her double-life, to start anew.

She begins to reinvent herself as an expat, finding her way in a language she doesn’t speak, doing the housewifely things she’s never before done—playdates and coffee mornings, daily cooking and never-ending laundry. Meanwhile, her husband works incessantly, at a job Kate has never understood, for a banking client she’s not allowed to know. He’s becoming distant and evasive; she’s getting lonely and bored.

Then another American couple arrives. Kate soon becomes suspicious that these people are not who they say they are, and she’s terrified that her own past is catching up to her. So Kate begins to dig, to peel back the layers of deception that surround her. She discovers fake offices and shell corporations and a hidden gun, a mysterious farmhouse and numbered accounts with bewildering sums of money, and finally unravels the mind-boggling long-play con that threatens her family, her marriage, and her life.

My Thoughts:
Oh this was a fun roller coaster of a ride. It was so twisty turny that I think it had a couple of loops and a U-turn or two.

I’m reasonably sure that following along as Kate told the story and being able to guess her big secret before it was revealed was just there to lull me into a sense of security about what I thought I knew. I’m not going to say much more about the story or what happens because it’s wonderfully complex and fun and exciting. It’s a slow building of suspicion and suspense with secrets upon secrets.

The setting and time frame alternates back and forth between present day and two years ago. This provided hints but also added to the questions as I guessed and changed my mind multiple times about what the truth might be. It’s international intrigue, financial cybercrime, espionage with a dose of marital suspicion and deception.

I’m putting this one on The Hubster’s shelf because I think he’ll enjoy it as much as I did. I’m looking forward to reading Pavone’s next book.

4 stars Rating 4/5

0 comments:

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP