THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

>> Friday, February 14, 2014

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Genre: Juvenile Fantasy Adventure
Series: #2 in the Percy Jackson & The Olympians Series
Publisher: Hyperion
Publication Date: 2006
Pages: 279
Source: Purchased


The Short Version:
Percy Jackson has adapted to the fact that his father is Poseidon and that there are other half-bloods like him but when his otherwise quiet seventh-grade year at school goes spectacularly wrong he’s in for another adventure.

Why I Read It:
I thought the first book in this series was fun and bought the second ages ago. I’m really not sure why I waited so long to read it.

The Book:
From the back of the book:

Percy Jackson’s seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get… well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy’s friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.
In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family — one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon’s son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.

My Thoughts:
This has been on my shelf for at least two years. I bought it right after I read the first book and I’m really not sure why I waited so long to pick it up. I’m just glad I did and I will definitely not wait so long again to continue with this series.

I enjoy the fun and adventure of this series. Percy and his friends are smart and creative in handling the various crises they face. The second one is missing some of the surprises of the first since the idea of Half-Bloods, Greek Gods hanging around and various and sundry monsters are already established. Nevertheless I enjoyed the story. New monsters and other mythological gods and creatures were introduced.

Percy’s friend Tyson became my favorite character in this one and I kind of hope he’s back in later books.

Percy’s description of the harpies cracked me up:
“There!” a voice screeched behind us. “Bad children out of cabins! Snack time for lucky harpies!’

Five of them were fluttering ove the top of the dunes—plump little hags with pinched faces and talons and feathery wings too small for their bodies. They reminded me of miniature cafeteria ladies who’d been crossbred with dodo birds. They weren’t very fast, thank the gods, but they were vicious if they caught you.

I put the first one of this series on The Hubster’s bookshelf. I think he’ll like it.

3.5 stars Rating 3.5/5

4 comments:

Beth F 2/16/2014 3:22 AM  

I read the first one and, like you, never continued . I really should get back to them

SuziQoregon 2/16/2014 8:41 PM  

BethF: I'm glad I finally read the second. Now I need to not wait so long to read the next.

Care 2/17/2014 10:16 AM  

Had a 6th grader just the other day tell me that this author is the best author in the world.

SuziQoregon 3/09/2014 8:29 PM  

Care: Oh that's fabulous!!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP