THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update – Changing Up the Daily Photo Thing

>> Saturday, February 1, 2014

Weekend Update

It’s time for a change.

I’ve been doing a daily photo challenge on Instagram for nearly two full years now. I started with #FMSPhotoaDay back in the middle of March 2012. I never expected to stick with taking and posting a photo based on a one word or short phrase as a prompt. I was pleased to actually make it a full month and it seemed like the next thing I knew I was coming up on a full year of daily photos posted to Instagram and Shuttercal.

I like having a reason to post a photo every day. I think the prompts encourage me to keep an eye out for the small moments or everyday things that can be made special because I’m looking at them differently. I know I’ve become better at taking and editing photos in the past couple of years. I’ve also become better at keeping my eye out for things that look interesting and unique.

I love sharing my photos on Iinstagram and seeing what other folks do with the same prompts. I get inspired by the photos I see that others with different ideas and much more talent take and post.

I also like picking 6 favorites at the end of the month to post here. Here are my favorites of the photos I took for the January challenge

begins with G
January 2nd - begins with G
3 things
January 14th - 3 things
black + white
January 15th - black + white
to do list
January 20th - to do list
something I bought
January 27th - something I bought
window
January 29th - window

I have also learned that these daily photos have become a journal of sorts and looking back through them is fun. That’s part of the reason I post them to Shuttercal. I can go there and see all of them in a calendar format or go through them as a slideshow.

Because of that, I sought out a journaling app for my phone and tablet that lets me include photos in my journal. I use Day One for my journal now. I think being able to use photos is the main reason I’ve kept this journal going for more than a couple of weeks. That’s big for me because I’m a serial journaling failure. Taking daily photos has given me the ability to journal with pictures as well as words.

All this leads up to what I said in the title of this post. It’s time to change up the Daily Photo Thing. I appreciate all the effort that Chantelle at Fat Mum Slim puts into her Photo a Day community. I also realize that it’s hard to come up with new ideas for photo prompts. I don’t mind repeated prompts occasionally because I can often come up with a totally different idea or inspiration. After almost two years though, some of the prompts have begun to feel repetitive.

I’m going to do a different Daily Photo Challenge for February. I might stick with this one long term or I might find something completely new for March. I’m just going to play it by ear. When I started back in 2012 there weren’t very many monthly photo prompt lists around and now there are all kinds of them. I think it’ll be fun to find some new inspiration but keep up with daily photo prompts,

So for February I’m joining the Sunny Pic Challenge hosted by Sunny Matilda. I think the February list looks fun and I’m looking forward to seeing what other folks do with these prompts.

Sunny Pic Challenge


Hope you’re having a great weekend!

3 comments:

Kailana 2/01/2014 4:21 PM  

I want to mess around with stuff this month, too. Not sure what that will mean yet... Have fun!

Beth F 2/04/2014 8:05 AM  

I have kept up Day One -- first time in my life I've kept up a daily. But I have short formula and that works for me. I've been struggling to keep up with everything else, though.

SuziQoregon 2/16/2014 8:09 PM  

Kailana: Hope it means you're having fun!

BethF: Same here - I'm over six months with DayOne. First time I've ever kept up a journal of any format that long.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP