THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

>> Friday, March 28, 2014

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: #1 in the Outlander series
Publisher: Dell
Publication Date: 1991
Pages: 850
Source: Purchased

The Short Version:
In 1945 Claire Randall steps through a group of standing stones on a hill in Scotland and finds herself in 1743.

Why I Read It:
I have become addicted to this series and was on the waiting list for this one at the library I’ve read it either 3 or 4 times already but the publicity for the upcoming TV production made me want to read it again.


Seriously skip to the 0:33 mark in this and watch the rest. I nearly swooned.

The Book:
From the publisher
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon — when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach — an "outlander" — in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord ... 1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life ... and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire ... and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

My Thoughts:
When I first read it 13 years ago when I bought this copy I fell in love with Jamie and the entire book.

I told everyone I knew to read it because I thought it was that good. I still think it’s one of my favorite books of all time. It was so long between the subsequent books in the series that I ended up re-reading it before moving on to the next book at least a couple of times. I’ve only read as far as the fourth book in the series (Drums of Autumn) because the wait between books was so long I decided to just let her write a few more and then start over. I also felt that by the fourth book the overwriting and repetitiveness were becoming more problematic. I will probably continue re-reading and move along in the series but in all honesty it’s probably downhill from here. It’s a matter of I need to see it through.

I still think this is a wonderful book and highly recommend it. Historical fiction, romance, adventure and a fascinating period of history make it fun. Claire is an intelligent heroine and Jamie still get me all twitterpated. Yeah I have issues with some of the writing and some of the plot but I still like it.

With every re-read I find myself liking the character of Jamie's sister more and more. Jenny has become my favorite female character in this book and the series.

I’m planning on watching the TV show when it airs this summer. I’m expecting it to be a mix of fabulous and horrible but I doubt I’ll be able to look away.

I fully admit that my feelings about this book after re-reading it again are completely tainted by the nostalgia of how much I loved it the first time.

4 stars Rating 4/5

6 comments:

Les 3/28/2014 9:31 AM  

I finally downloaded this on my Nook. I tried listening to the audio several years ago, but didn't get very far. Hopefully, the print version will pull me in. I want to see what all the fuss is about!

The Surly Bookseller 3/28/2014 10:26 AM  

One of my all-time guilty favorites, and that's saying something.

Marg 3/29/2014 12:55 AM  

I reread this again about 18 months ago but I am contemplating another read through before the TV series! So excited for the series. I just hope it is swesome! The producers seem to be doing thing right in terms of how they are dealing with the fans etc so hopefully that will continue.

Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life 3/29/2014 5:31 PM  

Sounds interesting! Thanks for the great review. :)

Kailana 3/31/2014 3:14 PM  

I have reread this one a couple times, too. I love it!

SuziQoregon 4/07/2014 9:25 PM  

Les: The audio edititons intimidate me. At least with the print I feel better about breaking it up into smaller sections.

Surly: I won't tell anyone.

Marg: I'm glad I re-read it before the TV series. It's been a while.

Lyli: thanks!

Kailana: it's the best of the series IMHO (well at least the best of the first four).

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP